Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Not a book - theatre - Journey's End

Paul Hodges

Posters for this at the Comedy Theatre have appeared this week in my local tube stations (also atwebsite). Have any Pals seen previous productions? It is billed as the 75th anniversary production, perhaps someone saw the original :) ... Worth paying high West End prices to see?

There were some more obscure one-acters on recently at the Pleasance that got very good reviews but I missed. Anyone see these?

Happy New Year one and all!

Paul,

I've never seen a production of it (except in my own mind's eye) but I remember studying it in English at school and it was, probably, the catalyst that started me on 'The Long, Long Trail'

I am now extremely pleased to, finally, own a copy of this brilliant work.

I do hope that the Venue doesn't mean that some director has decided to turn it into a farce?! :unsure:

I wasn't around for the premiere production, but I did see it at (I think) The Whitehall Theatre some years ago (The Whitehall will forever be associated with farce, so this play seems to court comedy venues).

A wide-eyed teenage subaltern; his schoolboy hero, barely older in years but aged through wartime experience; and a fatherly ex-schoolmaster are the main protagonists, sharing the dangers of a front-line dug-out.

• 9 months later...

Just curious... playing around old posts I found this about Journey's End. I did a current search on the play and found it is still at the Duke of York's Theatre instead of the Comedy mentioned in earlier posts.

I was jsut curious if anyone knew how long it was running. Reason I ask is that I am coming/going to London in Feb, and the tickets are only available to purchase through Jan. Its not clear if that is the end of the run, or just how far out the calendar goes.

Thanks for any insight. Andy

I saw the production at the Playhouse Theatre on September 30th, and found it riveting, incredibly well-acted, and the ending (not the actual play ending, but how they chose to end the production) terrifying and then extremely moving. I went to the matinee, full of schoolchildren, some far too young to really understand what they were watching. But many of the teenagers became engrossed despite their original opposition to seeing it (we could hear them talking!).

Reading it and then seeing it make the point very vividly. One thing I took away with me was what a b****y coward I think I would have been!

Highly recommend seeing it if you can.

Cynthia

I agree with Cynthia. I saw it last Saturday at Brighton. For the first few minutes I thought I was not going to enjoy it but I became totally engrossed. Superbly well acted, particualry Philip Franks as "Uncle", and the ending is very moving. Don't miss it.

Saw it last night at the Wolverhampton Grande theatre. Absolutely wonderful, first class acting, superb storyline and a deeply moving ending. A must see performance. Nuff said

There have been a couple of previous threads about this revival, including reviews by several Pals who went to see the touring producton at The Lowry in Salford.

There have been a couple of previous threads about this revival, including reviews by several Pals who went to see the touring producton at The Lowry in Salford.

...here

http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=20322

Don't understand why the hyperlink in my post above doesn't work.