Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

London Gazette

Jock Bruce

Jock, this is an excellent link.

I am VERY impressed with many of the tips, some of which I've only stumbled across by accident - and I use the LG every day!!

But, by far the best tip on this site, which I'd never have thought of in a million years is to leave out a space between names - it is referred to as "the end of line problem."

So if you are looking for John Smith - especially when you know it should be in the LG, and it doesn't show up, try johnsmith or use the asterix (for wild card searches) so johnsm***

I've just tried it and found a couple of 'hits' on issues that I have not previously found using conventional methods.

Many thanks to you AND the author of the Gazette hints and tips - Forrest Anderson - who seems to enjoy researching WW1 subjects.

What Forrest's research has confirmed is the need for the the LG to be scanned again using the better OCR software that is available now. I hope the PRO takes note of this.......

Already helped with a couple of WW2 guys on the memorial. So used to getting WW1 results for J Smith, I hadn't realised that WW2 might be John Smith. Got 'em.

Am I right that I'm unlikely to find an actual DFC citation from WW2?

John