Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Death registration

leslob

Can anyone explain the rules for registering the deaths of sailors, particularly if the ship was sunk.

I am looking for a sailor on HMS Queen Mary,sunk 1916, and have checked the GRO indices for 1916,1917 and 1918.

I have also checked the GRO indicies for Marine Deaths , these include many RN ships but I can't see any reference to the Queen Mary..

Cheers,

Dave

Everyone who died has to be registered as dead. There is a special section for deaths overseas, so they should be there.

Rob

That's the point of my question - I can't find them where they should be.

Is there a delay before the registration as, presumably, they are listed as missing in action to start with.

How long do they go before they are declared dead.

As the registration would have to be done in England, would they still be included in marine deaths?

Can anyone explain the rules for registering the deaths of sailors, particularly if the ship was sunk.

I am looking for a sailor on HMS Queen Mary,sunk 1916, and have checked the GRO indices for 1916,1917 and 1918.

I have also checked the GRO indicies for Marine Deaths , these include many RN ships but I can't see any reference to the Queen Mary..

Cheers,

Dave

Dave,

Give us name etc.

I've just looked up the death registration for one sailor who drowned when the QM went down, and I cannot see the problem you're having.

They are all registered in the GRO War Deaths, Navy, All Ranks 1914-1921. The registrations are all on "findmypast" at http://www.findmypast.com/home.jsp

I have one credit remaining, so I can look up your man if I have his name please.

Noel

The Overseas and naval GRO indices were drawn up after the war and so all names should be there.

Terry, see my post above. Once I have the name I'll look up for him - unless you want to do it on your CD...!!!!

Noel

Thanks for the offers, I don't want anyone spending money on my behalf, I'm more interested in knowing what the rules were.

His name was Walter John Edwards from Liverpool.

I have been looking on the free indices on familyrelatives.com, there are are marines deaths that include lots of ships in WW1. The Queen Mary was sunk in 1916, and I have searched for a few years afterwards but should I have looked after the war, or is there something like a 7 year rule before someone can be presumed dead?

Cheers,

Dave

Hello Dave, this is the Admiralty death record for your man:

EDWARDS, WALTER J., P.O., 167388 (Po), QUEEN MARY, H.M. Battlecruiser, 31-May-16, SHIP LOSS.

Hope this helps

David

Thanks - that's the info I was looking for, but I would still like to know when it was registered - there must have been a delay after the sinking until they could establish exactly who had died, who had been picked up and who were POWs

Cheers,

Dave

Hello Dave, this is the Admiralty death record for your man:

EDWARDS, WALTER J., P.O., 167388 (Po), QUEEN MARY, H.M. Battlecruiser, 31-May-16, SHIP LOSS.

Hope this helps

David

As you can see from Terry Denham's post above, the indexes were compiled post war. As for dates of notification I would assume it would have been rapid, the survival time in the North Sea is known to be limited and there were also a limited number of destroyers that took on board survivors.

EDWARDS, WALTER J is on the list in The Naval Who's Who 1917 a reprint of a January 1917 publication. Also in this list is Commander JONES LOFTUS W, V.C. who's body was washed up on a beach if I remember correctly; so the navy had, and published, lists within 7 months of the events (if not sooner).

I have researched a Jutland prisoner of war, but cannot xlaim to have extensive knowledge. In his case the notification came within days. Were any of the Queen Mary's crew taken prisoner?

Edited by per ardua per mare per terram

Do you have his service register, which you can download for free at Kew or for £3.50 online

Name Edwards, Walter John

Official Number: 167388

Place of Birth: Liverpool, Lancashire

Date of Birth: 21 June 1876

Catalogue reference ADM 188/272

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

Yes, I have his service register.

I think I read somewhere that there were a few POWs, out of about 19 survivors.

I can't see him in the post war marine deaths, so there must be an another index, that isn't hosted on familyrelatives.

Thanks for all the help,

Dave

Do you have his service register, which you can download for free at Kew or for £3.50 online

Name Edwards, Walter John

Official Number: 167388

Place of Birth: Liverpool, Lancashire

Date of Birth: 21 June 1876

Catalogue reference ADM 188/272

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

Oh yes there was A.B. Alfred Thomas Sherwood J7221 taken prisoner.

On his service register is NP 3925, that is the reference to the original Admiralty correspondance relating to his death.

The obitaries/ lists of officers dead from Jutland are in the third quarter Navy List for 1916.