Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remembering Today?

Peter Beckett

Is it me or is Remembering Today non-operational?

Just when I was getting my daily fix it was gone. B)

Peter, from his sun-drenched reserve line trench ;)

Peter,

It's not coming up on mine either - it's not your eyesight!!

Today we are remembering Nurse Lilian Midwood. Christina has already started a thread in Soldiers.

Ali

No need to apologise Chris.

Congratulations on finding the AWOL apostrophe!

Reminds me of another discussion about errant apostrophes - but we won't go there.

Christina has already started a thread in Soldiers.

No she hasn't , but I have

ChrisTINE Liava'a

A propos of names, there are 24 members using "Chris" in their names, and I have noticed other repeated names. What does this indicate?

That certain names were popular at certain times, and consequently you can date a person by their name?

Chris,

thanks for that. I am slowly recovering though it will take a few days in Blighty to fully recover

Peter :P

ChrisTINE

I have noticed an over abundance of Terrys on the Forum.

I always thought that it was not a very popular name but perhaps WW1 just attracts them!

That certain names were popular at certain times, and consequently you can date a person by their name?

I think you can have a reasonable stab at dating from name , at least in England. I have recently started research on the WW2 guys on my local memorials. It's quite surprising the shift in names from those of WW1. The Alberts, Freds, etc are now longer there. But Johns and Keiths are appearing.

About 12 months ago, when I was working in the public sector, one of the research jobs I had to do involved some analysis of the 1000 people (vast majority being men under 40) on our case load. It struck me that there was some correlation in names and ages. "Jason", from memory, tended to be men born in the mid-70s and had a fairly short timespan (possibly relates to the popular TV character of the time - Jason King). "Lee" tends to be younger than Jason, but was popular for longer, still featuring quite strongly in young men still in their teens.. "John", to the shame of many parents who have spurned this fine name, hardly featured. There were too few women to form a view, but I suspect there are similar popularities (I have a young relative with a name I had never heard of before, but now seems to be quite common).

There are over 14 Peters amongst the Pals (including nom-de-plumers like me and Racing Teapots), yet in North America, Peter does not feature on any top 100 lists of popular boy's names.

Peter in Vancouver, breaking the frost from his bread crust of last night

ChrisTINE Liava'a

OOPs sorry Christine. I think my eyes need testing now. I've been on the forum nearly a year and have always misread your name.

Sorry

Ali

....certain names were popular at certain times, and consequently you can date a person by their name?

There is a book on the popularity of first names, complete with lists of what was 'in fashion', and when. Complete with charts showing the popularity of a name in a given year in England, Scotland the USA and Australian etc etc.

Amazing how some name come and go. When I was a kid my grandmother's name, Sarah, was reserved for grandmothers. Now, we are knee deep in them!

It is also a 'class' thing. How many people called Wayne or Darren went/go to Eton?

The book is called something like "First Names First".

According to Radio Two yesterday the expected number one boys name for next year will be 'Alfie', after Alfie Moon from the Eastenders soap! I suppose replacing Romeo and Brooklyn?

Steve. (ph)

I suppose Steve sounds as old fashioned to kids today as Harold and Arthur did to me when i were a lad?

There are over 14 Peters amongst the Pals

But only one John. Some might say that, based on experience, one is more than enough.

Harters

(in a comparitively balmy Stockport)

Over the next day or so, English newspapers will report the 10 most popular names of 2003. There will actually be two lists. One will be the names appearing in The Times "Births" adverts. The other will be names actually registered on birth certificates. You will spot differences. Beppo is right - it's a class thing.

Harters B)

But only one John. Some might say that, based on experience, one is more than enough.

:blink: That got me curious; I count about 38, if you include the Johnnys etc.

I note that you, Sir, are John underscore Hartley, to be specific; there is definitely only one of you!! :)

Peter Throatwarbler Mangrove

Top 50 Boys' Names - 1900

1 William

2 John

3 George

4 Thomas

5 Charles

6 Frederick

7 Arthur

8 James

9 Albert

10 Ernest

11 Robert

12 Henry

13 Alfred

14 Sidney

15 Joseph

16 Harold

17 Harry

18 Frank

19 Walter

20 Herbert

21 Edward

22 Percy

23 Richard

24 Samuel

25 Leonard

26 Stanley

27 Reginald

28 Francis

29 Fred

30 Cecil

31 Wilfred

32 Horace

33 Cyril

34 David

35 Norman

36 Eric

37 Victor

38 Edgar

39 Leslie

40 Bertie

41 Edwin

42 Donald

43 Benjamin

44 Hector

45 Jack

46 Percival

47 Clifford

48 Alexander

49 Baden

50 Bernard

What would they have made of a little boy in the school where I used to work? He would be 11 now and his name is "Nike" (rhymes with "bike.") I stood to win a great deal if a child called "Reebok" was ever enrolled at the school, but all bets were cancelled when I left.

Tom

I'm always struck by the old-fashioned names in French military cemeteries - Achille, Prudent, Aimé, Corentin, Dieudonné, Patient. Haven't seen any of those coming back into fashion yet with the exception of Corentin.

The fireworks are just starting here in Luxembourg. Happy New Year to you all.

ChrisTINA (just so as not to confuse anyone. Hi there, Christine)

This thread is another reason why the Baker's Pals are priceless :P

I seem to remember starting it about ( I have forgotten? ) but the info that has been generated demonstrates to me what the Forum is all about. Yes, we are serious and very helpful when we have to be but we are also great friends who can have a natter in a very delightful way.

Long live the Baker Pals!

Peter ;)

PS Now thats not a bad name, I might keep it and as my second name is William, I must be on a winner.

Broz

Thanks for the correction, mate. I seem to have been subject to an overwhelming inability to use the search facility. Let alone remember to names of regular posters (such as johnw)

Harters (crawling quickly back under stone)

I have recently starting looking back into my family and it is amazing how many of my families names (from about the turn of the 20th Century) appear in the top dozen!!!

A pupil at a school where my wife was a teacher gloried in the name of Rameses Ricketts. Priceless. I wonder if he had a brother called Reebok?

Rameses Ricketts has to be the greatest of all time. I salute him.

Although they come nowhere close, I remember with affection:

Ruby Dubidat

Hyacinth Gumms

Persil White

Rocky Baggott

Tom

1 William

2 John

3 George

Thanks for this Tom, I have been trying to find such a list. When my database is more complete I will post a list of the most common names from the 19th Londons. Some differences - e.g. few Johns - perhaps attributable to them being born over a period between 1880 and 1900. Will be intrigued to know whether there were regional differences in naming.

My wife went to school with a girl called Ophelia Cox.

Parents eh!!!

Charles

I taught a boy whose parents Mr and Mrs Bravo had decided to call him Oscar.

They had originally come from Portugal and had not forseen that his name could be regarded as unusual.