Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Oliver Charles Pearson , 70th Sqdn RFC

montbrehain

I have a mate who has an interest in Oliver Charles Pearson. He was a pilot in the Royal Flying Corps. As far as we know he was shot down in September 1917 .His name appears on the Arras flying services memorial. I would be grateful for any information you can supply , so I may pass it on (credit will be given for information supplied) thanking you "MO"

Mo

2Lt O C Pearson was flying Sopwith Camel B3787 of No 70 Sqn RFC when he was killed in action on 10 September 1917. He was on an Offensive Patrol when shot down by Ltn Werner Voss of Jasta 10 near Langemarke.

B3787 was the 44th of Ltn Voss's eventual 48 victories before his death in action on 23 September.

For more information, see Under the Guns of the German Aces by Franks and Giblin.

I hope that this helps you.

Gareth

Hi

The Sky their Battlefield has -

Sopwith Camel , serial # B3787

Op over Houlthulst Wood , combat with EA Langemark 4-55p.m. . Missing in Action 2 Lt OC Pearson KIA . Left airfield 4.45pm . Seen over Roulers - Staden at 5.20p.m. ? ( that info via file number AIR1/968/204/5/1100 old PRO number.

Pearson has been thought of as Werner Voss Jasta 10 44th victim , although it could be possible that it was Ltn Ray from Jasta 28 who claimed a Camel NW houthulst at 7.30p.m. for his 2nd victim . . Who knows ?, but he is listed in most references as the victim of Voss as the locations fit better .

From Under the Guns of the German aces -

Oliver Charles Pearson 70 Squadron

Son of Mr and Mrs CE Pearson of Hillcrest , Lowdham , Nottinghamshire . Accepted into the Inns of Court Officer tRAINING cORPS ON 23 sEPT 1915 ( # 6/5/6405 ) and following a long period training was gazetted 2Lt to the RFC on 25Sept 1916 . He reported to Oxford 9th of Oct 1916 for flying training . Awarded wings on 23rd May 1917 and commenced operational flying almost immediately , being sent to 70 Squadron . Slightly wounded on 20th August and had only just recovered and recommenced combat flying when he was killed . Remains never found as you mentioned .

Voss claimed the victim fell SW of Poelcapelle ... this is very close to where George Guynemer was mysteriously lost the very next day .

Hope that is of some assistance . Any credit for the info should go to

September Evening - by Barry Diggens

Under the Guns of the German Aces . Franks / Giblin

Jasta Chonology . Franks / Bailey / Duiven

and The Sky their Battlefield by Henshaw .

Phil.

Ahh Gareth , sorry didn't realise you had alreay replied . Bloody hard to beat you Aces to the trigger of your Lewis Gun ... I was still jerking around with the Foster mount when you had the aldis on target .

It was just good timing. I had a quick look at the Forum after the program I was watching on the ABC ended, and there was the enquiry.

Cheers

Gareth