Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uttoxeter's Lost Generation

gikkalan

Dear all,

We've started to put the results from our research on the internet and you're welcome to a preview.

The site will ultimately give details of all of the 200+ Uttoxeter people (soldiers, sailors, airmen and civilians) who died in the service of their country during the Great War.

Our site is not registered with any search engines yet, but you can take a peek at http://www.uttoxeterlostgeneration.co.uk.

We're still populating it, but there's already a lot there and we hope you'll find it interesting.

With time it will be expanded to cover the Uttoxeter men's involvement with the Loos (Hohenzonellern Redoubt), Somme (particularly Gommecourt and Delville Wood), all Ypres battles, Spring and Autumn Offensives, Gallipoli, etc.

Best wishes,

Gillian and Alan Talbot

Congratulations on your work.

I'm always pleased to see new well-researched memorial sites which tell something of the mens' stories.

John

Looks good. Well done...I'm impressed.

Excellent site I must in such early stages.

Edward Allsopp is commerated and lived not far from me, so I will go and visit the Church. Furthermore he might be mentioned in the local Lichfield Mercury. I will check next time I am researching.

Secondly, I have a William Dicken from the same village and the North Staffs 1/5th Battalion who died in December 1917.

Small world

What you have online so far is very impressive. Well done and keep it up.

Great Site,

Thanks for sharing.

This bit worries me though, especially with a certain Mr Bockin i have on my war memorial:

does not appear on the CWGC or SDGW registers because he was a civilian. Nevertheless, the townsfolk included his name on their War Memoria :unsure:

Dear all,

We would like to thank everyone who posted a message about our new web site.

Your kind words of encouragement mean a lot and we are very pleased to know that our site has been well-received by so many.

Kindest good wishes to all,

Gillian and Alan Talbot

Gillian/Alan,

Sorry for the confusion!!!

This bit worries me though, especially with a certain Mr Bockin i have on my war memorial:

does not appear on the CWGC or SDGW registers because he was a civilian. Nevertheless, the townsfolk included his name on their War Memoria :unsure:

Not wishing to hijack the thread - but this isnt all that uncommon.

One of my researchees was a Boy Scout.

John

Impressive, excellent research, well presented.... some heart rending memorial notices included

I look forward to further addition to the listings.

Guest KevinEndon

I work in Uttoxeter and pass the memorial twice a day but never got the chance to read the names on the memorial, now I can without even leaving the setee.

Well done G and A, well done.

K

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

A question/update about Edward Allsop on the memorial living at Wall.

As he had no age I thought I would have a look at Free BMD and one "Edward Allsop" is registered in September 1896 in Uttoxeter. This could be your man.

On "1901 online" Edward Allsop is listed as born at Pitts Place, Uttoxeter and living in Shenstone(this is the parish area for Wall) aged 4.

This all ties in quite well and would make him 21 possibly 22 at the time of his death

John

Not wishing to hijack the thread - but this isnt all that uncommon.

One of my researchees was a Boy Scout.

John

Well done on an interesting site!

And the Swansea Battalion CO used Boy Scouts as runners before the bn left for France. No fatalities that I have come across though.

Bernard :unsure:

• 4 weeks later...

Dear all,

You may recall that we are posting the results of our research into Uttoxeter’s War Dead on our website www.uttoxeterlostgeneration.co.uk.

If you are interested in any particular regiments you may like to look at the new page that we’ve included this week. It lists the regiments and units that all of the men served with. We are sure that you will find it as interesting as we have to see the wide range represented by this one little town.

Regards,

Gillian and Alan Talbot

• 4 months later...

Hi Gillian and Alan,

I came across your interesting website via a search engine - you will be pleased to hear!

I find that on it you have a mention of my grandfather, William Browne Bagshaw, MC and Bar, Croix de Guerre, at

http://www.uttoxeterlostgeneration.co.uk/bagshawwp1.htm

But you have him down as (i) killed or died of wounds, and (ii) buried in Plymouth.

I think you may have confused him with someone else, as my grandfather William Browne Bagshaw - who was indeed born Uttoxeter to Thomas Bagshaw and Susan (nee Trubshaw), with brothers Horace and Kenneth, and educated at Brewood Grammar School - survived both First and Second World Wars, and lived into the 1970s.

I wonder if this other Bagshaw from the CWGC might be the one that you meant to write about, who may figure on the Uttoxeter memorial? See:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...asualty=2852724

I am developing a site about my grandfather and his brothers - who were all in the Manchester Regiment and who ALL won the MC.

It's early days yet, but you can see the beginnings of it here

Angela