Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pilot Photo

kenaldis

I would be grateful for any info regarding the attached photo. It was found in an autograph album that had belonged to my late Father-in-Law, he had aquired it from his Aunt who had worked at Hounslow Barracks during the First World War, any info regarding Rank & unit if at all known would be grateful

Regards Ken

post-17211-1183274042.jpg

I don't know if its just me but I can see no photo in the posting

<<..softly closes the door>>

Sorry, I don't understand that remark!

Ken

Not sure I get it either Ken...! I do see the picture though, can you zoom in on his ribbons, shoulders and cap. May give us a better look and a few clues.

Dave

Looks to be Royal Flying Corps, Infantry cap badge and one rank badge on shoulder so possibly a Major if the ribbons bear up to scrutiny. Can you do a close up on ribbons and cap badge.

Rob

Hi everyone,

I am trying to enlarge it but being of the older generation I am somewhat computer illiterate. I am waiting for my son to stir from his pit and then see if he can do it for me, have patience I am sure I'll get there

Regards

Ken

Sorry, I don't understand that remark!

Ken

You seem to have had several attempts (which now seem to have vanished) at posting the photo and I picked up before you'd finished. I can see it now

Is that a Rhodesian cap badge (Springbok head) and that looks to be a DFC ribbon.

Rob

• 2 months later...

Bump.

I think it is Rhodesian and there is a DFC and the other could be a 14-15 Star which I havn't a clue.

Rob

Hi.

I think that the man is South African Infantry.

Tim.

The man is wearing a khaki tie, which perhaps suggests that the photo was taken prior to, or shortly after, the formation of the RAF, when black ties became the regulation wear.

Gareth