Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Munster Fusiliers

Guest JulieG

Hi We have just found some badges which we think may have belonged to my Gt Uncle John Crane who served with the 2nd Battalion Royal Munster Fusiliers, has any one got any pics of these? Also we found a oblong piece of cloth with five red chevrons what does this signify? Any help would be brill. Julie

Julie:

The cap badge of the Royal Munster Fusiliers reflects a silver tiger above a silver scroll reflecting the regimental name Royal Munster, all against a circular brass background. The silver tiger relates to the origins of the regiment in India. Above the silver tiger is a brass symbol representing flames, perhaps symbolising a grenade burst. The brass shoulder badges of the Royal Munster Fusiliers reflects the initial RMF. A cloth shamrock was worn on the right shoulder of the RMF uniforms during the Great War representing the 16th (Irish) Division to which the 2nd RMF belonged. On each epaulette of the RMF uniform was worn a small brass badge representing flames/grenade burst. The brass buttons of the RMF were, I believe, standard army issue relecting the Royal Coat of Arms. Regarding the stripes, I am afraid, I cannot help you, however, there are many on this website who can.

Hope this is of some help.

Bob Yeoman

Guest A Mafia Man

Julie

Just to add a little bit to the info about the Regiment, in general, that has already been posted.

Royal Munster Fusiliers.

The regiment wore the typical Fusiliers badge of the 'flaming grenade + a grey coloured hackle'. However, it is fair to say that throughout the 1st WW the hackles were not worn. (See the attached photo)

All Fusilier regiments wear the same badge design, i.e. The flaming grenade. But it was the design in the centre that differed. This was usually a County or other unique emblem that was depicted.

In the town of Ypres, at the rear of the Cathedral, stands a memorial to the men of the 'Munsters' who fought to save a large number of nuns from the advancing German army.

I believe the R Munster Fusiliers were disbanded in 1920, along with many other fine Irish regiments, following 'partition'.

Joe

post-23-1072906128.jpg

Dear Mafia Man,

Oh Dear you have posted the badge and hackle of the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers (the grey commemorated the original Inniskilling Regiment who wore grey uniforms as there was only grey cloth available in the besieged town)

The Royal Munster Fusiliers wore a Green over White hackle, the colours of the Province of Munster

The 1st Bn had the longest period of overseas service of any British infantry - 110 years in India, to commemorate this the Battalion march was "Won't you come home to Bombay?"

The RMF disbanded in 1922 both battalions returning to Ireland, 1st from policing the border plebiscite between Germany and Poland in Silesia and the 2nd from Alexandria in Egypt. The colours were handed to the King at Windsor Castle along with those of the Royal Irish Regiment, Connaught Rangers, Leinster Regiment (Royal canadians) and Royal Dublin Fusiliers

The red chevrons - embroidered on felt or printed on canvas? My guess is that they are SECOND World War service chevrons, at least sight-unseen.