Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

POW Postcards.

Mark Finneran

I am attempting to locate postcards of POW's and/or captured weapons. Were the Germans the only ones to take postcard images of such a topic?

I have only seen German examples of British and French troops in German hands. Presumably a propoganda postcard - as were images of our dead? :(

Any info hugely appreciated.

Mark

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Mark,

The British certainly did, check out the book 'World War 1 in Postcards' by John Laffin. On page 64 there is a piccie of a wounded British Tommy being carried by 2 POWs (& page 35)

Postcards of the POW camp at Boxhill near Dorking in Surrey are very common finds, as well as the inmates marching to and from the camp under guard.

Postcards of captured German equipment such as machine guns after the Battle of the Somme in 1916 also formed a short series and are commonly found.

Ian

Mark,

Beneath you will find a scan of a ww1 postcard showing a POW within two cavalry men. One of them seems (i think) to belong to the french army. The postcard is stamped on the backside in 1917 by the Belgian Army.

Gilbert Deraedt

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Prompted by two Pals - who is David?

He is a collector and sometime dealer who collects POW ephemera. His interest, or so he told me, stems from his Father who was a POW in WW2 (captured after being shot down in 1941). I have been privelidged to see part of his collection which includes material from the Boer War to the South Atlantic Campaign. He has some interesting photos of British Prisoners taken during the advance of March 1918 as well as some rare private pictures of German prisoners taken after a trench raid in 1917.

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

I think most have missed the point - The Germans dressed lots of POWs up in bright new clothing and took what are virtually studio photos of men for them to send to their friends and relatives to reassure them how ell they were being treated - I've got several examples - It seems an incredible expense and trouble to go to and I have never seen equivalent British examples although I have seen lots of postcards with group pictures of captured pows. There are a number of examples on the CD Berkshire and the War

Here's another POW photo. Taken somewhere in the Aisne region in 1914. Anyone any idea where?

Dave.

post-6-1074212862.jpg

Here's another image of German prisoners from a French postcard - showing them for embarkation to Morocco on the ship "Montreal"

all best

Richard

post-6-1074244453.jpg

Mark:

This may be of interest, here is a photo I have of German soldiers with UK/Commonwealth POWs--a Highlander and several soldiers who appear to be from the Indian subcontinent. I don't have the knowledge needed to pick out the face of a Gurkha (from Nepal) from the POWs, but the German fellow reclining in the foreground holds a captured kukri, the Gurkha's famed angled fighting blade.

Chris

post-6-1074248306.jpg