Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Joseph (Patrick) Allen, Liverpool Regiment

IanL1962

Can anybody assist with information relating to the above? His MIC gives his Reg No as 11376 (which tallies with his medals) and Unit as Liverpool Regiment, and shows he disembarked August 1914 (I think from memory 12.8.1914 but I don't have it to hand as I'm in work at the moment) and survived the war - other than that I have no further information, other than he was married to Annie Hatton. He was my wife's grandad. The spelling of Allen is correct, and I've tried Allan also. Surviving family members don't have any history for him during the Great War.

I've tried the KLR info search at Liverpool Museum, and Promenade (Joe D) - both have drawn a blank.

Any info re Unit, movements etc gratefully received.

Thanks

Ian

Ian

Could not easily find his birth or marriage nor 1901 census entry. Based on the above info I assume he was already a serviceman to have embarked in 1914.

Can you clarify his name please? The MIC shows Joseph Allen. Was his surname Allen?

I did find the following individual on Free BMD but he would not have been old enough to have been on active service in 1914, nor maybe for the whole of the war!

Births Sep 1900

----------------------------------------------

Allen Patrick Joseph Liverpool 8b 38

Ian (Turner)

Ian

Could not easily find his birth or marriage nor 1901 census entry. Based on the above info I assume he was already a serviceman to have embarked in 1914.

Can you clarify his name please? The MIC shows Joseph Allen. Was his surname Allen?

I did find the following individual on Free BMD but he would not have been old enough to have been on active service in 1914, nor maybe for the whole of the war!

Births Sep 1900

----------------------------------------------

Allen Patrick Joseph Liverpool 8b 38

Ian (Turner)

Hi Ian,

Def Joseph Patrick Allen - I have his DOB as 14.3.1897/98

Cheers

Ian

Ian,

I guess the best bet is to try for his service file. If existing still it should now be online (surname initials A-B are up and running, I believe).

I have a doubt as to his 'embarkation' being 12/8/14. He would only have been 16, and the servicemen who were initially sent out with the BEF were of course already serving professionals. He would not have been old enough to already have had TA service either, and even if he had joined up at the outbreak of the war he would not even have been trained that early.

You mention his medals, are they still with the family?

My other thought is that there are two people with same or similar names? If the medal and embarkation info are correct, then maybe it was the father of your chap?

Ian

Ian,

I guess the best bet is to try for his service file. If existing still it should now be online (surname initials A-B are up and running, I believe).

I have a doubt as to his 'embarkation' being 12/8/14. He would only have been 16, and the servicemen who were initially sent out with the BEF were of course already serving professionals. He would not have been old enough to already have had TA service either, and even if he had joined up at the outbreak of the war he would not even have been trained that early.

You mention his medals, are they still with the family?

My other thought is that there are two people with same or similar names? If the medal and embarkation info are correct, then maybe it was the father of your chap?

Ian

Ian,

The medals are with the family - hadn't considered the father aspect though! I'll try to get sight of the medals (they're reasonably local - Formby) to see if that sheds any light on it - thanks for the help so far.

Regards,

Ian

• 2 years later...

Finally, an update! I got to see the medals today - 1914 Star (not 1914-1915), British War Medal, Victory Medal and...a Military Medal! All inscribed Pte J Allen 11376 Liverpool R. From anecdotal evidence within the family he lied about his age to enlist - he survived the war and was a Lance Corporal when he transferred from the Army to the RAF in or around 1920, his skill as a morse telegrapher being much sought after.

So, can anyone shed any more light on him? Obviously anything pertaining to the MM and the circumstances in which it was awarded would be fantastic!

Many thanks,

Ian

LG Issue 30188, 17/7/17, supplement of 18/7/17, page 67 of 84 shows the MM award in a long list. As usual, no citation. Rank shown as "Pte (L/Cpl)".

Worth waiting for!

D

LG Issue 30188, 17/7/17, supplement of 18/7/17, page 67 of 84 shows the MM award in a long list. As usual, no citation. Rank shown as "Pte (L/Cpl)".

Worth waiting for!

D

Daggers,

Many thanks - I tried in vain to find this on LG last night!

Ian

If he went on to serve with the RAF post-1920, there might be records of that service at least still with the MOD, even if those for his earlier army service are now lost.