Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How do i find info on my grandfather

michaeluk007

I am trying to find info on my grandfather who served as a pilot in the RFC, all i know is i think he served in either 37 or 38 sqn, well that what it looks like on the back of a photo, also his name was Frank Henry Hirons, can anyone shed any light on any of this, thanks from a desperate grand son

michaeluk,

There is a "H Hirons" officer's service record file at the Public records Office at Kew under ref number WO 339/112313. But no F H Hirons is listed on-line. If this is not your man I'd suggest a visit to Kew to see if he's listed under the file series Air 76 - which lists RAF rather than RFC officers. If he was not an officer but was in the RAF at some point he may be listed under Air 79 which has airmens' service records, including NCO pilots.

If all that draws a blank: do you have his medals? They should have his rank and name on; failing which try searching the medal rolls on-line at the National archives website nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Do you know ANYTHING else about him? His date of birth might give a clue to when he joined up (RFC or RAF might be indicated by this). Also, NA at Kew have some useful squadron records including:

AIR 1/691/21/20/37 History of 37 Squadron, R.A.F. 1916-1937

AIR 1/1222/204/5/2634 Combat reports: 37 Squadron 1918 Sept. and

AIR 1/173/15/165/1 History of 38 Squadron R.A.F. 1916-1919 1919 Jan.24

AIR 1/643/17/122/263 Re-arming 38 Squadron, R.A.F., with Handley-Page machines. 1918 June - Sept.

AIR 1/691/21/20/38 History of 38 Squadron, R.A.F. 1916-1937.

He might get a mention in some of the above.

Then there are the various Wing and Brigade War Diaries and Routine Orders files at the NA Kew. These often mention people by name, but you need to know which wing and brigade the two squadrons were attached to . I don't have that info to hand right now.

A trip to Kew might prove useless or very interesting. But if you can make it there to check out any of the above you might find what you want. But no guarantees.

Others may be able to enlarge on what I've written, hope it's some help.

Good Luck,

Bob

RFC officers will also be in the Army List. Do you know the dates your grandfather served?

Welcome to the forum Bob,

That's a wonderfully comprehensive list; just one niggle

failing which try searching the medal rolls on-line.
The online Medal Index Cards are for army awards, the RAF indexes haven't been released yet.

michaeluk,

There is a "H Hirons" officer's service record file at the Public records Office at Kew under ref number WO 339/112313. But no F H Hirons is listed on-line. If this is not your man I'd suggest a visit to Kew to see if he's listed under the file series Air 76 - which lists RAF rather than RFC officers. If he was not an officer but was in the RAF at some point he may be listed under Air 79 which has airmens' service records, including NCO pilots.

If all that draws a blank: do you have his medals? They should have his rank and name on; failing which try searching the medal rolls on-line at the National archives website nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Do you know ANYTHING else about him? His date of birth might give a clue to when he joined up (RFC or RAF might be indicated by this). Also, NA at Kew have some useful squadron records including:

AIR 1/691/21/20/37 History of 37 Squadron, R.A.F. 1916-1937

AIR 1/1222/204/5/2634 Combat reports: 37 Squadron 1918 Sept. and

AIR 1/173/15/165/1 History of 38 Squadron R.A.F. 1916-1919 1919 Jan.24

AIR 1/643/17/122/263 Re-arming 38 Squadron, R.A.F., with Handley-Page machines. 1918 June - Sept.

AIR 1/691/21/20/38 History of 38 Squadron, R.A.F. 1916-1937.

He might get a mention in some of the above.

Then there are the various Wing and Brigade War Diaries and Routine Orders files at the NA Kew. These often mention people by name, but you need to know which wing and brigade the two squadrons were attached to . I don't have that info to hand right now.

A trip to Kew might prove useless or very interesting. But if you can make it there to check out any of the above you might find what you want. But no guarantees.

Others may be able to enlarge on what I've written, hope it's some help.

Good Luck,

Bob

Thank you Bob for all the information, i do not have the medals my auntie was given them, must see if i can get some info from her about the medals, will get back to you if i find anything,

Regards Mike