Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Talbot House

Guest newworldmember

Guest newworldmember

Can someone please explain the meaning of 'Toc-H' as it applies to Talbot House in Poperinghe? I believe it had something to do with BEF radio operators, but the exact meaning is unclear to me, and I've never seen an explanation in any book.

I'd also like to know how The Rev. 'Tubby' Clayton spelled his first name. Was it 'Phillip' or 'Philip'? I believe the first spelling may be wrong, but I can't confirm that.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Cory Kilvert :huh:

Google search on Toc H & Radio gave a few results one being...

"Toc-H was the radio shorthand for Talbot House and the name stuck"

Ian is probably right, wasn't Don for D as in "Don R" = dispatch rider?

Further search Phonetic 1904 here

That has answered a lot, like Emma Gee, Ack Ack.

Thanks newworldmember , I learnt there :)

Stuart ,

Interesting that the Phoenetic list claims that "Pip" for P only came along in 1927.

I would have thought that "Ack Emma" for A.M would have had to have had "Pip Emma" for P.M alongside it from 1904.

Ian

Cory

Two sites that give a good background to Tubby and dear old Talbot House:

http://www.toch.org.uk/tubby_clayton_toc_h.htm

http://www.worldwar1.com/sftoch.htm

If your interest in the subject grows you will have to visit the house in Poperinge but, I believe, there are some changes to come in May after which there may not be such full access to all parts of the building. Go soon!!

Best wishes

I may be wrong here,but i seem to remember my Grandparents,and i think my dad,describing people as being,"mad as a Toc-H lamp".

What a Toc-H lamp was,i never found out,being a small kid at the time.

Regards.

Simon.

I now see why it was"dim as a Toc-h Lamp",Terry!!

Pass me a torch.

Isn't it amazing how these sayings,are changed by people.

It was obviously passed down through my family,over the years,and changed to become"as mad as a Toc-H Lamp".

Marvellous stuff.

Many thanks.

Happy New Year,Terry.

Regards.

Simon.

Toc H,

The dimmed lighting (probably oil lamps) within Talbot House led to the derogatory expression "As dim as a Toc H lamp" as a reference to the degree of intelligence a person was said to possess.It was used in the many forms of coercion which took place in the British military structure and was used as a disparaging comment to erks or others of lower rank than the user.Of course the expression was traded amongst equals in the barrack room and was also used to describe a senior man but hardly in his presence.

It was still being used in the 1950s and is still being used by the older of us.It has stood the test of time. It used to be a good indicator of past military service.

Regards

Frank East

May I make a minor correction to this?

It was not "radio shorthand" as, strictly speaking, that did not exist. The technology to transmit voice via radio existed, but was huge and impractical for a battlefield. Radio transmission in the armed forces normally took the form of morse only.

"Toc H" was Army Signalling Phonetics which was the term used for the initials T.H., this being the intials of Talbot House.

If 'Pip' for P only came out in 1927, why do WW1 period records refer to "O Pips" for Observation Posts?

Paul,

Thanks for confirming that "Pip" is indeed from the Great War period. I suspected an error on the 42 Signal Squadron website that was linked earlier in the thread.

Ian

If your interest in the subject grows you will have to visit the house in Poperinge but, I believe, there are some changes to come in May after which there may not be such full access to all parts of the building. Go soon!!

Hello

Do you know what these changes are going to be?

There are several threads about the 'changes' in Talbot House.

Following is one of them: www.1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=930&hl=talbot+house.

Jacky

There are several threads about the 'changes' in Talbot House.

Following is one of them: www.1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=930&hl=talbot+house.

Jacky

Thanks for this Jacky. The thread you quoted is before I joined.

I am learning all the time though.

Regards

Brophy and Partridge "The Long Trail" give Ack, Beer, Don, Emma, Pip, Esses, Toc and Vic. They say this changed Feb 1921. So far, I have not found an offical list in my manuals, but I surely will.