Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is It Possible to Find Out What Company a Soldier Was In?

Althouse

Hello,

I see that it is a relatively easy endeavour to find out a soldier's regiment and battalion. I use the word relatively since it can be very difficult.

Is it possible to drill down further? Can you locate the company, platoon. or section a soldier was serving in at a particular time? Would you need access to muster rolls and the like?

As always I look to your wisdom.

Paul

Paul

Do you mean UK units (where it is all but impossible) or CEF (where I suspect you might have more luck with some of the rolls)?

John

John,

Unfortunately it is for a UK unit. 16th KRRC. Was there a lot of movement of men between companies? Or were the rolls on a battalion level only?

Paul

Paul

The medal rolls don't get down to this level of detail and, unfortunately, embarcation rolls generally no longer exist.

You can be lucky with some battalions. For example, the Manchester "pals" battalions had a book of honour published during the war which includes platoon photos. But even here, the best you could say is that they were probably still with the same company come 1 July 1916. But your guess would be as good as mine after that.

John

Paul,

Just to add to what John says I think you need to find any personal docs still in the Family's possession and possibly an Obituary e.g. from a notebook completed at pre-War Annual Camp I know my Relatives were in "A" Company,from an Obituary he was a member of the original Maxim Gun Team that went to France and from a Christmas Card he was a Sergeant in the Battalion Lewis Gun Section.

All the Medal Rolls show are Number and Battalion and I don't know what information Service Papers contain as they were destroyed in WW2.

As my Relative was in the Machine Gun Section it is likely that he stayed with them throughout but I suppose his Team must have been attached to different Companies at various times.There would certainly have been regular movement of Riflemen between platoons,Companies,etc.

George

There are a number of Pals with an interest in 16th (Service) Battalion (Church Lads Brigade), KRRC on the Forum. If you search the Forum looking for 16 KRRC, CLB, Church Lads Brigade etc., you'll get a lot of interesting background.

If you give us some more details - name, service number etc. - it might be possible to get somewhere via War Diaries, Nominal Rolls etc. You may be lucky!

You could also try contacting the KRRC Regimental Museum in Winchester - which became the Royal Green Jackets Museum (click on the underline)

My own grandfather was in 16/KRRC.

Cheers,

Mark

Yes do try the museum - I have found the curator very helpful

Was there a lot of movement of men between companies?

Paul

Transferring between battalions was not unusual - my grandfather began the War in 12/KRRC and was later transferred to 16/KRRC where he remained until he was demobbed. Between companies must have been even more common.

In his case, the transfer was most likely when he returned to the Front after time in Blighty convalesencing from wounds.

Sometimes it was just to reinforce units weakened in battle.

Riflemen from KRRC were also occasionally "lent" to the sister regiment - the Rifle Brigade: there's a Topic on that here on the Forum.

Cheers,

Mark

If you give us some more details - name, service number etc. - it might be possible to get somewhere via War Diaries, Nominal Rolls etc. You may be lucky!

Cheers,

Mark

Apologies Paul - I just found your Post in one of the major 16/KRRC Topics elsewhere:

Another to die on the 15th of July was my grandmmother's cousin.

Rifleman Christopher Rostron C/1405

16th Bn. King's Royal Rifle Corps

His name is listed on the Thiepval Memorial.

Lived at 17 Springfield Street, Darwen.

Also, from that same Topic, you'll aleady be aware of most of the other Pals with a 16/KRRC interest. And it's only 3 weeks to the High Wood Anniversary too.

Cheers,

Mark

It is.

From what I've read the 16 KRRC was divided on that day, with A Co. supporting the Glasgow Highlanders in High Wood proper, and the other companies supporting the attack on the Switch Line.

I know he died from machine gun fire that day. I seeing if I could better pinpoint where.

Thanks for the helpful information. I'll give the museum a try.

Paul

I've managed to find my family members army Companies by the use of the 1918 Absent Voters Lists from the town where they were living at the time in 1918 or possibly 1919.

It does not always give the Company but its well worth the try. Could be a little difficult from Canada though! Any relatives still living in the town in the UK where they lived perhaps who could check for you? I would first try emailing the local Library where your relatives lived in the UK to see if they have them first.

Good Luck.

Steve

Hi Paul

If you send me a PM with your e-mail address I can send you the relevant sections of the War Diary. There is no mention of your man that I can see however you will get an idea what they were involved in.

Cheers

Bob

• 3 years later...

If a person wishes to know which company (A,B,C or D) an original member of the 16th KRRC was in, say up to C/1200, I could probably provide that information. Will need a name - a number would also be helpful. Johnny Conn

• 2 weeks later...