Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieut. Col. J A Meldon

Conor Dodd

Can anybody tell me about the above I have an evelope adressed to him with 1st Herefordshire Regiment BEF France and Present Location Uncertian stamped across it and what looks like a typed item about the formation of the battilion officers mess with Meldons and a good few other names mentioned on it (it is basically the rules) any ideas ???

Conor :blink:

LCol James Austin Meldon C.B.E. (1919), born 1869, ed. Brussells and Trinity College, Dublin, married 1903 to Serina Letitia Sadleir of Merrion Square, Dublin, joined 16th Lancers 1889, Dublin Fusiliers 1897, Uganda Mutiny 1897-8 , Great War commanded 1st R. Dublin Fusiliers. - Kelly's handbook 1927.

Stuart

Meldon also served in the South African War and was awarded the Queen's South Africa Medal with seven clasps. He received the East and Central Africa Medal with two clasps for his service in Uganda and was mentioned in despatches. He also received a Mention in WW1 (London Gazette 25 Jan 17).

Charles M

Conor,

According Army List August 1914:

Major Meldon J.A. 4th Bn. Royal Dublin Fusiliers (Extra Reserve). Cfief of Police and Comdt. Local Forces St. Vincent, 4th June 1913. Commissioned as Major 10 June 1905.

Jacky

Many thanks for the replies I didn't know he was a Dublin Fusilier :o I have a lot of information on him. Many thanks for the quick replies.

Conor