Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Stornoway

Archer

I am not making any headway on the internet trying to put together a description of the shore establishment maintained at Stornoway (HMS Iolaire) during the Great War - esp. the period September 1917-1918.

It seems that it was under the command of Rear Admiral RF BOYLE, MVO, RN (Retired) - but I cannot state between which dates with any certainty.

NB ... I am not looking for information about the sinking of HMS Iolaire in 1919. That is a different, if tragic, topic.

Help please, forumites !!

William

William,

HMS Iolaire, Stornoway, was definitely an Auxiliary Patrol base. In 1915 the depot ship was the Manco. The base was paid off and closed on 19th May 1919 and the task was transferred to President I. Seems to have been the base for the Naval Patrol out of Dundee and for the Southern Force at Granton. (Shore Establishments of the Royal Navy, B. Warlow, page 77.)

Not that this tells you much, but I think that the loss of the Iolaire (the renamed Amalthaea) in 1919 is a red herring.

I wonder whether the Museum Nan Eilean at Stornaway can help you? It's a maritime museum; the e-mail contact is a Richard Langhorne rlanghorne@cne-siar.gov.uk

If Richard cannot help you directly he may be able to point you in some more fruitful directions.

Noel

[Not that this tells you much, but I think that the loss of the Iolaire (the renamed Amalthaea) in 1919 is a red herring.

Hello Noel

Why do you think the Amalthaea is a red herring.

She was renamed Iolaire in 11.18 and was the one tragically lost on 1.1.19.

Regards John

Well, John, it's a red herring for me at any rate, :blink: because as I said ...

I am not looking for information about the sinking of HMS Iolaire in 1919. That is a different, if tragic, topic

Noel ...

Many thanks for your useful reply and referral. Every little bit helps! :D

William

John, I apologise.

William's enquiry was about the Auxiliary Patrol shore base at Stornoway, rather than the vessel Iolaire itself, so it was in that context that I made the comment. However, my comment was rather insensitive and unnecessary and I regret any offence caused.

Noel

"HMS Iolaire, Stornoway, was definitely an Auxiliary Patrol base. In 1915 the depot ship was the Manco. The base was paid off and closed on 19th May 1919 and the task was transferred to President I. Seems to have been the base for the Naval Patrol out of Dundee and for the Southern Force at Granton. (Shore Establishments of the Royal Navy, B. Warlow, page 77.)"

HMS Iolaire was the parent ship for the Naval Base at Stornaway which controlled the Auxiliary Patrol in Area One, this is on the Isle of Lewis some 30 miles of the west coast of Scotland. Dundee and Granton are on the east coast in Area Six controlled by HMS Gunner the parent ship for the shore base at Granton.

Regards Charles

Charles, I quoted from Ben Warlow's book.

Noel

Thanks for the extra detail, folks.

Does Admiral Boyle's name ring any bells?

Cheers !

William

Noel,

G'day, "I quoted from Ben Warlow's book." I think on this occasion Ben Warlow is wrong, he is 300 miles and a landmass out.

Regards Charles

Noel, no problem, thanks for your post.

Thanks for the extra detail, folks.

Does Admiral Boyle's name ring any bells?

Cheers !

William

William

From the 1918 Navy List. IOLAIRE (Yacht) Rear Admiral Hon. Robert F.Boyle MVO 10/3/16. Seniotity 25/4/14.

This was the original Iolaire that gave its name to the Shore Establishment.

Regards John

Many thanks, John :D...

that was one of the things I was looking for.

William, have you heard anything from the Museum?

Noel

Oops !! :ph34r:

I haven't written yet ...

Yes I can help with the Iolaire. It was tragic. She left Stornoway on New Year's Day with a complement of people going on leave, families and so on. She foundered less than 50 yards from the shore and only 10% of those aboard actually made it to shore.

She wasn't actually a shore station or warship but a luxury yacht which had been donated by her owners for the war effort. She was used on a sort of milk run round the Western Isles.

Some links for you:

http://www.c-e-n.org/iolaire2.htm

http://iolaire.quickseek.com/

http://www.culturehebrides.com/heritage/iolaire/

http://heritage.scotsman.com/diagrams.cfm?...amp;id=40512005

http://tartans.com/mesgboard/viewtopic.php...01c683f1d83dfef

An RNR Battery was established at Inaclete Point, Stornoway, in 1878 and was the largest RNR Battery and Training Depot in Great Britain. Many thousands of men (Fishermen) from Lewis, Harris and Wester Ross received their training for service in the Royal Navy. HMS Flirt had provided training when berthed at Stornoway 1876-78. During WW1 the base was known as HMY Iolaire and offices were set up in Stornoway Town Hall (burned down after a fire broke out in the Naval canteen in 1918) and the Imperial Hotel (site of the present Arts Centre). The latter hotel was the HQ for Admiral Tupper and Admiral Boyle who were the the two CO's during the war. Both presented golf trophies to Stornoway Golf Club. Tupper's trophy is still played for and Boyle's was won outright and is in Canada. The base closed down in 1919. Two six inch guns are sited at what is now called Battery Point in Stornoway with a plaque detailing their history (1882 Armstrong Ordnance Co).

Both Admirals can be found on the web - surprised nobody found Boyle.

The Stornoway Historical Society website gives details of all those lost when the Iolaire sank (she did not leave Stornoway as stated earlier in the postings) but from Kyle of Lochalsh.

I hope that some of this is of help.

Malcolm Macdonald

Thank you, Malcolm, for a most interesting reply.

Just one thing, though ... you say

Both Admirals can be found on the web - surprised nobody found Boyle.

It seems that my usually adequate google skills have let me down. Can you supply the references, please ?

Many thanks

William

P.S. The fire which destroyed Stornoway Town Hall was on 2 March 1918.

Thank you, Malcolm, for a most interesting reply.

Just one thing, though ... you say

It seems that my usually adequate google skills have let me down. Can you supply the references, please ?

Many thanks

William

P.S. The fire which destroyed Stornoway Town Hall was on 2 March 1918.

You're not alone, William. I found a few mentions of Boyle on the web, but nothing substantial at all.

Noel

You're not alone, William. I found a few mentions of Boyle on the web, but nothing substantial at all.

Noel

I just used engines 2 go and selected Google, then entered Admiral Tupper. Same for Admiral Boyle.

Admiral Sir Reginald Godfrey Otway Tupper (1859-45) and Vice Admiral Sir William Henry Dudley Boyle KCB (he was the 12th Earl of Cork and can be found on Peerage sites).

Tupper can be found under Liddell Hart Centre for Military Archives.

Malcolm

Thanks, Malcolm

Just a small correction - the Boyle in question was actually Vice Admiral the Hon. Robert Francis Boyle, MVO (1863-1922) (the third son of the 5th Earl of Shannon).

He succeeded Tupper in command at Stornoway in April 1916. [His obituary in The Times says he was appointed to command of the 'Marne Patrol Area' in April 1915 - but that seems to be a misprint.]

Cheers

William

Thanks to you for that correction. I should have used Boyle's Law when identifying the right man!

Regards

Malcolm

• 3 months later...
Thanks, Malcolm

Just a small correction - the Boyle in question was actually Vice Admiral the Hon. Robert Francis Boyle, MVO (1863-1922) (the third son of the 5th Earl of Shannon).

He succeeded Tupper in command at Stornoway in April 1916. [His obituary in The Times says he was appointed to command of the 'Marne Patrol Area' in April 1915 - but that seems to be a misprint.]

Cheers

William

With regard to Rear Admiral Tupper - he left Stornoway on 28 February 1916 (source - Highland News).

This fits in with Rear Admiral RF Boyle and the April 1916 arrival to take over the Marine Patrol Area.

Regards

Malcolm