Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Navy Gun Factory. Westhoughton. Lancashire

Guest Mike Clarke

Guest Mike Clarke

Good Evening.

I wonder if there is anyone out there that could help with a Local History Project that is underway by my wife Pamela, she is the Online Parish Clerk for the Westhoughton Local History Group.

The project is based on the Royal Navy Gun Factory, James St, off Church St, Westhoughton, Bolton, Lancashire. in the period between 1912 to 1924 ( these dates are approx ).

The Factory was on a site of Six & Half Acres and included various Brick & Steel construction buildings. We have a Detailed Site Plan which shows a breakdown of the building use and these range through Foundary & Smiths Shop, Machine Shop, Tempering & Shrinking Shop. The Plant must have been self contained as the Plan also shows Boiler House, Engine House,Transformer & Converter Room, it also had it own water supply from a large on site reservoir.

The Factory also had its own Link to the LM&S Main Line Railway System as the plan also shows internal rail lines with Weigh Bridge and Turn table, the Locomotive in use was a Standard Gauge Electically driven ( 2x25 HP Motors ) and this was built by Messrs Clarke & Chapman & Co, Gatehead-on-Wear.

We have a Sale by Auction Brochure - BY ORDER of the DISPOSAL and LIQUIDATION COMMISSION that the ROYAL NAVY GUN FACTORY, Westhoughton is to be SOLD by AUCTION on the 4 April 1924. The Machinery and Plant in the Sale Brochure is described in great detail and ranges from a 450 HP Cross Compound Horizontal condensing Steam Engine down to a humble Case of Motor Spares. the details also include all the buildings that were to go Under the Hammer on that day.

Over the years the Site has been broken-up into a small Industrial Estate however some of the original Brick Walls, Gable Ends, and part of the Boundary Wall with the Main Gateway which has 2 Replica Big Gun style Gate Posts (8 Foot High, 8 Foot circumference.). I have Images available for E/Mail to any interest parties.

I do hope that someone out there has some information that will help with this project

Many Thanks

Mike Clarke