Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wireless Communications

Martyn Gibson

Can any member enlighten me as to how widespread was the use of wireless communcations during WW1.

Was all communication via morse code or were they able to communicate using voice?

I am aware that the RFC used wireless to some degree but use was limited due to size and weight. I am also aware that wireless's were mounted in horse drawn carts and on motorcycles.

I visited the marconicalling web site and viewed the information there with great interest and the history of Marconi's involvement with the development of wireless communcations but I seem to be unable to find precious little else about this form of communication.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and thanks in advance for any replies

Kind regards

Martyn Gibson

Wireless is one of the technological developments which has not attracted the attention it deserves. This is one of my husbands fields, but the development of the thermionic valve (and I speak as one who can barely change a plug) was central to the Army being able to advance from wireless telegraphy to telephony. Grandfather-in-law served with RE Signals at Biggin Hillon who carried out experimental wireless operations, and we would be delighted to make contact with anyone intersted in this unit.

Am pretty sure that with the kit they had on the battlefield only morse could be transmitted. This was used late war to rely information from balloon or aircraft to artillery units on the ground.

But from memory there was an Australian Wireless unit in action at Pozieres as early as 1916? Quite what it did, I am not sure!

Martyn

'Pigeon to Packhorse' The Illustrated Story of Animals in Army Communications (Alan Harfield - Picton Publishing 1989) ISBN 0948251 42 5

Has a useful chapter (5) on the introduction of the wireless to The Royal Engineers in the Boer War and it's development through to the 1930's . It includes photos of systems with pack animal (horse/ elephant (India) and wagons. It covers 20 pages (A5).

I would be happy to scan and e-mail direct to you if you wish.

Martyn

Emlyn Davies of "Taffy Went to War" describes his experiences with the 'F' Wireless Section (8th Army Corps) He describes the equipment he used while at Flamertinghe and at other posts in the Ypres Salient. He was with the 38th (Welsh) Division during the attack at Pilkem Ridge.

Myrtle

A big thank you to all of you for the information supplied as always in awe at the amount of information available through this forum.

Heritage Plus I would be very grateful for a scanned copy if you are sure that it is not too much trouble.

Kate a very interesting site I have just had a quick look and will delve into it later this evening. I am sure that I will be contacting Guy later for further information.

Kind regards

Martyn

The publication "Work of RE in the European War 1914-19 the Signal Service (France) which covers most aspects of signalling in WW1, makes it clear that it was wireless telegraphy that was being used and not voice transmissions.

After an uncertain start this method of signalling had gained sufficient recognition for a Wireless Depot and School to be formed in April 1916. In July of the same year Army Wireless Companies were formed.

Interestingly the publication also has this to say in respect of Tank signals:

"The last development in tank signals occurred in July, 1918, when experiments with wireless telephones were carried out successfully both between Tank and Tank in the field and between Tank and contact aeroplane."

I'm no expert, but does this refer to early battlefield radio?

Terry Reeves

There was the Anzac Wireless Signal Squadron which served from 1916-1919 in Mesopotamia.

The following information is from "An Absolutely reliable source - Australian & new Zealand Wirelss Units in Mesopotamia" by Irvin L. Mortenson

The two horsed wagon wireless sets had a range of 150 miles and was a One and a half kilowatt set manufactured by the Marconi Company. "Each wagon set consisted of two limbered wagons, drawn by teams of six horses driven postillion fashion. The instrument wagon contained the engine alternator, and rotary discharge in it's front limber, and radio gear in it's rear limber; the mast limbers carried petrol, oils, tools, the mast sections, and gear sufficienct to erect two 70 foot masts on the 'jury' system."

Plus there were pack sets with a range of 50 miles

"pack sets were half kilowatt Marconi units and consisted of 5 seperate loads carried on specifically built frames strapped onto pack saddles"

Cheers

Andrew

Martyn

No problem - I will scan it tonight and e-mail it to you.

Andrew P

Thanks for the information, you may like to check out the marconicalling site as there is a wonderful photograph of a horse drawn radio cart.

Regards

Martyn

I seem to recall the mention of the (experimental)use of wireless communications between White Chateau and the frontline at Hooge early (Feb./March) 1915.

Heritage Plus

Many thanks for the scanned copies there was no problem with any of them and I am currently printing them off.

Again many thanks for your time and effort.

kind regards

Martyn

Martyn

I received a book at Christmas titled "Ghosts of Biggin Hill" by Bob Ogley, which mentions the creation of the Wireless Testing Park and has a few mentions of its formation.

I can photocopy these pages if you wish and post them to you, e mail me off group with your address if you would like me to do this.

Achroite@aol.com

Regards

Andrew