Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Memorial Window

sandymae

There is memorial window in the Parish Church commemorating two brothers, the eldest brother Pte William Francis Shapland (2595) joined Queen Victoria's Rifles (London Regt), he was seriously wounded in 1915 and brought back to England for hospitalisation, he never went back. He married his fiancee, to whom he was engaged before the War, in August 1916 and died 3 moths later. He lies in Exeter Hiugher Cemetery.

His brother Lt Adam Francis Terrell Shapland served with the 6th Bn Wiltshire Regt and was killed on the first day of the Battle of Menin Bridge Road, (20th Sept 1917) aged 22yrs.

What is interesting is that the memorial window depicts two saints (George and Denys) the faces of whoom bear striking likeness to the two brother's.

It was the wish of the widow that their faces show likeness, the PCC of the time were less than pleased!

post-18659-1182696352.jpg

post-18659-1182696372.jpg

This memorial window, in a church in East Yorkshire, commemorates a son of the incumbent vicar, depicted as St George, with his father depicted as St Patrick (the family being of Irish extraction). I have a copy of the photograph from which the son's face in the window was undoubtedly taken.

post-11021-1182704237.jpg

I dont want to hijack your thread. So I hope you dont mind if I post these. I came across these whilst my wife and I were researching my family tree. The window is in St Peters Church at Hurstbourne Tarrant in Hampshire. My GtGtGt Grandparents (fathers side) are Buried in the cemetery there. "MO"

post-13272-1182715071.jpgpost-13272-1182715088.jpg

You are not hijacking the thread, it's nice to see other stained glass memorial windows.

I think it is a lovely way to commemorate someone, especially when the faces are a likeness.

Perhaps some others will post pictures!

Sandra

Here's one form my local St Marys Church (Stansted Essex)

At the bottom it reads -

‘TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN PROUD MEMORY OF SIR THOMAS JACKSON BARONET WHO PASSED TO THE HIGHER LIFE ON St THOMAS DAY 1915 AGED 74 YEARS ALSO TO HIS YOUNGEST SON CLAUDE STEWART CAPTAIN COLDSTREAM GUARDS KILLED IN ACTION IN FRANCE ON THE 9TH OCTOBER 1917 AGED 25 YEARS’.

Captain Claude Stewart JACKSON

Coldstream Guards 3rd Battalion

Killed in Action 9th October 1917 aged 25

Glyn

Unfortunately reducing it in size to post here doesn't do it justice.

post-5500-1182719134.jpg

Sorry for the very poor quality of the picture, but I was in Yeovil yesterday on a bell ringing outing and saw this enormous commemorative window to two brothers, one a Brigadier General who died on 1 July 1916, the other a RN Captain lost at Jutland. There were many earlier memorials to members of this family.

Name: PROWSE, CHARLES BERTIE

Initials: C B

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: General Staff

Unit Text: Cdg. 11th Infantry Bde.

Secondary Regiment: Somerset Light Infantry

Secondary Unit Text: late 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 01/07/1916

Awards: D S O

Additional information: Son of Captain George James William Prowse, J.P., and Emmeline Lucy Prowse, of Bromham, Wilts. Born at West Monkton, Taunton, Somerset. Husband of Violet Stanley Prowse, of Bromham, Fleet, Hants.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Plot 1. Row E. Grave 9.

Cemetery: LOUVENCOURT MILITARY CEMETERY

Name: PROWSE, CECIL IRBY

Initials: C I

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Navy

Unit Text: H.M.S. "Queen Mary."

Date of Death: 31/05/1916

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 10.

Memorial: PORTSMOUTH NAVAL MEMORIAL

post-16674-1183299920.jpg

Hi Greenwoodman,

The window is in All Saints, North Molton,Devon. North Molton is on the edge of Exmoor in North Devon

One brother is depicted as St George, the other brother as St Denys (the one with 2 heads - St Denys was beheaded and became a martyr).

Sandra

Accrding to this: http://www.firstworldwar.com/today/prowsepointcemetery.htm

... Charles Prowse (of the Yeovil window) is the only individual to have given his name to a CWGC cemetery.

There are some beautiful photos on this thread - I particularly like the ones you posted to begin the thread Sandra! It looks like some very high quality stained glass.

Swizz

• 9 years later...

The two Shapland brothers were born in New Zealand so are in my records of New Zealanders who served with other forces.  Very moving to see the photographs of the window.  Does anyone one know which saint represents which brother?

Thanks

Ann