Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench maps?

AOK4

Hello,

I'm looking for the trench maps (or copies or scans) Dadizeele 28NE4, Courtrai 29NW3, Menin 28SE2 and Marcke 29SW1.

I would be grateful if anyone could help me with this.

Greetings,

Jan

Go to www.ghsmith.com

they reproduce 7/10th scale colour reprints of original trench maps.

Kerry

Hello,

They don't have the ones I'm looking for. Also, the WFA doesn't have copies of them.

I guess I'll just have to go to the PRO then...

Could anyone give me details of the versions that were made of these maps (I don't have the book written by Chasseaud)?

Jan

Jan,

I have 2 trench maps: 1 of Dadizele of 1916, 1 of Menin both in 1/20.000 scale.

However the previous owner cutted out everything related to Ypres but maybe there are still some interesting things to see. I cannot come to the 'Canada' next sunday. you can always contact me on my mobile: 0475/534284 if you are in Ypres and have a look at them at my place.

Jacky

I have the Trench map CD Rom. There is a map of Menin 28 S E 2 sheet 3a dated 27/12/17.

The German lines are in the area from Gheluwe down to the River Lyes.

Is there a specific area of this map you are interested in?

if so I could e-mail sections of it.

Regards

Terry

p.s.

I do have an original sheet 28 S W dated 8/4/18 1/20,000. The German trenches are from Holebeke down to Warneton which is on the right hand side of the map.

Most of the map shows the British line. However what is of interest is that it shows and names all the duckboard tracks and walks to get to the British trenches around the Messines area. It also shows the railways behind the line.

Hello,

I've got the Trench map CD-ROM too and checked, but apparently I only need Courtrai and Marcke (I want the Trench Map showing Bisseghem (airfield and munition depot)).

I guess I'll only find those in the PRO since these are far from the front and pretty rare as they were only of use somewhere in October 1918.

Jan

• 2 years later...
Could anyone give me details of the versions that were made of these maps

Jan, (hadn't seen this thread until Andy "re-booted" it)

Dates in brackets are the print dates.

28NE4 Dadizeele: ed.1 (June 1917), ed.2A (September 1917), ed.3 (no trenches) and ed.3A (both December 1917).

29NW3 Courtrai: ed.1 (October 1917)

28SE2 Menin: ed.1 (1916), ed.1(redrawn) (July 1917), ed.2A (August 1917), ed.3A (January 1918).

29SW1 Marcke: ed.1 (October 1917).

Dates upto September/October 1918 (and also prior to the dates of the 1:10,000 maps) can be found on the 1:20,000 series maps 28NE (about 12 editions for this one!!!), 29NW and 29SW.

Dave.