Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Christmas Day In a German Cemetery

182 CEF

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Christmas day I drove about 120Kms to visit the Woodlawn Cemetery In Kitchener Ontario. This Grave Yard contains the remains of the German POWs that died while being held in Canada. The remains were moved there from their original resting places in 1970-1971. There are 187 Germans there, 2 men to each Grave. More than a 3rd of the Headstones had wreaths on them. The men are from both WW1 and WW2.

I went looking for the final resting places of 2 men that had died as a result of being shot during an escape from Angler Ontario on April 18 1941.

They now lie together, 2 other men that had died at that camp lie next to them.

As I looked at the Graves I started to wonder about the men, why did this have to happen, do they have any living relatives, had they ever visited the Graves?

I looked apon these stones for a while, then left a cigar beside the Markers.

I will be going back in the spring, I will leave a wreath on each of the Headstones so others will know they are not forgotten.

Dean Owen

Dean,

I appreciate your noblesse and comradery! Thanks for doing this!!! I posted a similar thread recently with virtually the same disinterest by forum members. I believe more and more that the old spirit here has changed and the majority of forumistas don't care about non-British issues, especially German issues, anymore. I am in contact with other "non-Brit" members who feel the same - sadly.

Anyway Dean, there are a few members out there who are very grateful towards "across -the -border-caring- people" like you !

Good gracious, Egbert, I would like to be counted among the minority, then.

I wish there were more German enthusiasts on the Forum. I can't tell you how much I appreciated receiving Ralph's translation of a soldier's tale who had fought against my grandfather at the same battle.

When I saw Dean's post, I was going to reply to it, but didn't (for reasons not having anything to do with the Forum). I wanted to congratulate him in the same way you have done. :)

Anyways, I hope something like this doesn't annoy you too much. Keep posting!

Peter in Vancouver

Hello Dean

In my opinion, this was a very thoughtful, sensitive gesture and I am glad that you shared it with us.

Every time I’m in Alsace, I make a point of visiting the German military cemeteries in Bergheim and in the Vosges, such as near le Ligne, particularly as evening approaches. I am made very peaceful by the stark, bare, black crosses casting their haunting shadows gracefully down the sloping fields of graves. At Bergheim, I can usually see the Schwarzwald across the Rhine plain and I think it’s so close, yet so impossibly far for the men among whose graves I am walking.

I never know quite what to do as a gesture, but I hope that thinking is sufficient.

Gwyn

Dean

Congratulations on your thoughtfulness. Well done.

Egbert

There is inevitably a bias towards 'British' issues but I have not detected any reduction in 'non-British' issue interest. However, more 'foreign' members would help expand our knowledge of such matters. Do not let your perception stop you making us aware of German or other foreign matters of interest. They are always welcome.

Personally, I always make a point of visiting the war graves of any nation when I am in the vicinity of such graves. I see no reason to do otherwise.

... I believe more and more that the old spirit here has changed and the majority of forumistas don't care about non-British issues, especially German issues, anymore. ...

Egbert,

I hope you are wrong about this. When I joined the forum I half expected something partisan and nationalistic but I was delighted to find that pals made no distinction between the experiences of the combatants. All were overtaken by disaster. These were people who were indistinguishable from each other, something that they themselves often recognised.

It was a world war and I think we should be vigilant on this forum to see that all aspects are properly represented and respected. Because the forum language is English, other nations are likely to be underrepresented and many of us regret that. We would like to have a lot more about the German experience, the French experience, the Russian experience, the Turkish experience and so on.

Maybe we should make a positive effort to get the forum better known outside the UK, Commonwealth and USA. That’s one for Chris really, but I would welcome it.

(egbert @ Tue, 30 Dec 2003 00:44:55 +0000)

... I believe more and more that the old spirit here has changed and the majority of forumistas don't care about non-British issues, especially German issues, anymore. ... 

I would also like to point out that I make a point of visiting non CWGC sites when abroad which I am sure many of us in here do anyway.

I am sure for many or the majority of us being able to visit other nationalities cemeteraries is not possible, especially when you live in the UK and don't have immediate access. Of course having Commonwealth relatives who fought will of course have an impact on issues in the forum when it is UK based with no bias meant.

One would have thought naturally if more members from other nations used the forum there would of course be an increase in more relevant postings to such matters.

My handful of visits per year is all I am able to financially afford currently to tread where others have served and fallen but I feel my time spent is worthwhile wherever I go on whoevers ground I have visited.

Ryan

I have never noticed a bias on the forum.

If I had not been researching the two men shot at Angler POW Camp I would never have known that all Germans who died in Canadian POW Camps were in one Cemetery. I am fortunate that I live close to that GraveYard.

The is a German POW site that I use ( it's in English and German) and they are trying to get lists of German Dead in Cemeteries. I told the webmaster that when I go back in the spring, I will copy the names of all those there and send it to him.

Perhaps a family member will stumble apon the list, and that way I can send them a photo of the Grave.

If any one needs a photo of one of the Graves Please let me know.

Also the Headstones are white, about 2 feet high and rounded at the top, unlike the ones I have seen in photos in Europe.

Dean Owen

Whitby Ontario Canada

Whilst slightly off-topic I notice there is a debate currently going on at the BBC News On-Line following the the French invitation for Chancellor Schroeder to attend the D-Day Anniversary Ceremonies this year.

The consensus appears to be that the invitation is most welcome and overdue(slight cynicism about President Chirac's motives but I will let my French colleagues comment on this)

I most heartily subscribe to the invitation as hopefully it will lay to rest some of the apparent bias that has been mentioned earlier.

George