Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS TB. 24 and S.S. Kolpino.

Signals

Hello All,

On the 6-9-1914 the British Torpedo boat, TB.24 made her way back to Newcastle from Tees Bay with the submarines C20. TB.24 stopped and picked up the wreckage from a vessel called the S.S. Kolpino off the Tyne, this wreckage was then taken to customs. TB.24 and C20 would carry sweeps down as far as Flambourgh Head looking for enemy U-boats in the area.

I can't find any record of an S.S.Kolpino sunk around this time of the Tyne. Has anyone heard of this Vessel ?

Daren.

Hello All,

On the 6-9-1914 the British Torpedo boat, TB.24 made her way back to Newcastle from Tees Bay with the submarines C20. TB.24 stopped and picked up the wreckage from a vessel called the S.S. Kolpino off the Tyne, this wreckage was then taken to customs. TB.24 and C20 would carry sweeps down as far as Flambourgh Head looking for enemy U-boats in the area.

I can't find any record of an S.S.Kolpino sunk around this time of the Tyne. Has anyone heard of this Vessel ?

Daren.

Hello Darren

There were two KOLPINO'S (built 89 and 06) for Thomas Wilson, & Co of Hull, but neither were lost or sunk during the war.

Regards John

Hi John,

thanks for that, i can't work out what this vessesl was. Unless the crew of TB.24 got it wrong but they definately wrote,`CLOSED THE WRECKAGE OF SS KOLPINO.'

Darren.