Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Poignant letter to wife

domwalsh

I thought members would like to read the following letter sent to his wife by a sailor a couple of weeks before the famous attack on Ostend. It came with his 14-15 trio that I recently acquired on eBay. As he was a crew member of the blockship HMS Brilliant his expectation that he would probably be killed was not unreasonable. It is no less moving for the fact that he survived the raid. He also served at Dogger Bank, Dardanelles and Jutland. Are any genealogists able to confirm his wife's name? The original is in a poor state.

Best

Dom

J7054 J.F. Sutton P.O.

HMS Brilliant

C/O G.P.O.

London

Tuesday 9th April 1918

To My Own Darling Wife,

I now take great pleasure in writing these few lines to let you know that I have received all your letters and parcel quite safe. I have also answered them but I don't expect you have received them. Now dearest, you must not be down hearted when you hear the news but by the time you get this letter I might be dead. But do not give up hope until you hear definite news as we are doing very dangerous work, but if I come through alright I will let you know as soon as I can by telegram. I know it is very hard for you, love, also my mother, but cheer her up how best you can. Of course, love, I have had a good run as this makes the fourth action I have been in, so I think I have done my duty for my King and country if I do not do any more, don't you think so dear? Now, my dear, I hope it will be good news that you hear, not bad, as I shall do my very best to get away, but in case I don't get away you must remember me to everybody and give them my love. The dog has got a good home in London (West Ham) so he will be alright. Well, my darling, I don't like writing this letter but take no notice of it unless you hear........as you see I am looking on the worse side of things and perhaps things will be just the opposite which I hope they will. How are all at home getting on? Alright, I hope. Well now Holly (?) I think I have said all for this time so I will bring my letter to a close. Give my best of love to all at both of our homes and accept the same yourself with heaps of love and kisses and believe me to remain your ever loving and true husband. Jim. Hope to see you soon.

XXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXX

PS Remember the old song "You are going to leave the old home, Jim"

Hi Dom, there is a record of a James Frederick Sutton marrying and this is registered Mar 1909 to Maud Eleanor Webb or possibly a Bertha Louisa Newton in Flegg Norfolk. This would make him 16.

The there is another entry in 1910 to a May Harper and one to Mary Thomerson both West Ham, registers Oct-Dec.

In Sept. 1910 There is an entry for a Mary A newman and Elizabeth Wilkins in Edmonton.

In 1912 Oct-Dec an Elizabeth Guggaains/Greggans marries a James Frederick Sutton in Islington.

In 1913 a Frances A. Brown marries a Jame F. Sutton in West Ham.

In 1917 a registration for a Charlotte Kidley marries a James F. Sutton in Southwark - could Holly possbilbly be Lotty which was a shortened form for Charllote?

There are registrations for a James Sutton in Kent but ones that would make him too young. Do we presume that he married in Kent as he was born in Dover? But the little clue about the dog having a good home in West may be a good indication. Of course he may have married where his wife lived or in the area where he was stationed. I couldn't find a 'Holly' at present but will keep looking. Wendy.

Thank you very much for sharing that beautiful letter with us Dom. It's so moving. I cannot imagine what it could have been like to be on the edge of potential death, but he writes quite calmly about it, ready to accept it as he waits for the raid. I cannot express how happy I was to see that he survived the raid in the end. I regret I cannot help you with the genealogy, I'll leave that to the experts. Thanks so much again.

Lynz :lol:

Hi Wendy,

Thanks so much for looking this up. I will have a look again at the original to see if I can interpret the name with your information. Your suggestion of Lotty could be right.

V many thanks,

Dom

It could be Polly - or Molly, quite a number of girls/women were called that.

I can't remember but I think Polly could be a derivation of Elizabeth.

Sandra

As other members have communicated the letter from James Sutton to his wife is extremely thought provoking; it must have been such a difficult letter to write. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Have had another look for his wife and although it may be too late a date a James F. Sutton married a Sophia A Lincott in Dover and the marriage was registered in March 1918. Perhaps they decided to marry before he went off on the raid.

Wendy

It could be Polly - or Molly, quite a number of girls/women were called that.

I can't remember but I think Polly could be a derivation of Elizabeth.

Sandra

I've always heard that Polly was 'short for' Mary. How on earth they get Polly from Mary I don't know, but I'm guessing perhaps it went Mary > Molly > Polly.

Alison > Allie ;)

Here's a scan of a German photo of the blockships at Ostend. This is Brilliant and Sirius taken at 11.00am on the 23rd. Anyone know which is which? Various boats and dinghies appear to be strapped to the side of the smoking ship.

post-19252-1183646242.jpg

post-19252-1183718646.jpg

Reference his wife's name, I have checked the original letter and it definitely ends with ..olly, so I guess either Holly or Polly.

Cheers,

Dom