Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

naval service number query

keitha

I have recently started to look into the history of an Able Seaman Edgar Foster who served on HMS Russell up to the point when she was mined near Gibralter, his service number shown on the Commenwealth War Graves site is SS/5290/(PO). I have looked on the National Archive site and discovered that the SS is for Short Service and the nuber is as read, the part I cannot find reference to is the (PO). Can any one help with this please

Keith

I have recently started to look into the history of an Able Seaman Edgar Foster who served on HMS Russell up to the point when she was mined near Gibralter, his service number shown on the Commenwealth War Graves site is SS/5290/(PO). I have looked on the National Archive site and discovered that the SS is for Short Service and the nuber is as read, the part I cannot find reference to is the (PO). Can any one help with this please

Keith

Hello Keith,

It is an abbreviation for Portsmouth which would have been his home port.

David.

Keith

Hello Keith

PO Portsmouth. His Port Division

SS" prefix indicates a Short Service Engagement. This scheme started in 1903 to increase the numbers of over-18s joining the RN as Stokers. They would serve 5 years with the RN followed by 7 years in the Fleet Reserve.

Regards John

Hello Keith,

It is an abbreviation for Portsmouth which would have been his home port.

David.

David, many thanks, this is my first foray into Naval records.

Keith

Hello Keith

PO Portsmouth. His Port Division

SS" prefix indicates a Short Service Engagement. This scheme started in 1903 to increase the numbers of over-18s joining the RN as Stokers. They would serve 5 years with the RN followed by 7 years in the Fleet Reserve.

Regards John

Many thanks John, this is my first foray into Naval records.

Keith

The scheme was open to seamen and stokers.

Official Numbers SS 1-100,000 were allocated to seaman (like Edgar Foster)

SS 100,000 onwards were allocated to stokers.

Keith,

Ask away, you can scan and post the document on here if you can get it below 100kb or cut and paste the bits you want questions answered.

Regards Charles

On 27th April 1916 the Battleship HMS Russell, built 1903, 14,000 tons, hit a mine laid by German U-boat U 73, 4 miles from Grand Harbour, Malta, Mediterranean Sea. 105 of the crew died immediately and 15 later from wounds.

Best wishes

David

Is there a site that would list medal entitlements ?
The naval medal rolls are offline at kew on microfilm, but calculating a naval medal entitlement is usually easy. If a man was on an active ship (as opposed to a shore base, unless it was the various Victory admin bases for the Royal Naval Division) before 31 Dec 1915 he got a 1914/15 Star trio, if not they got a pair. If he was on Russell from the start of the war he saw action off the Belgian Coast in 1914, and in the Dardanelles 1915 (the naval side of the Galipolli campaign) and so definately qualified for his 1914/15 Star trio. The roll will show who it was sent to.

On 27th April 1916 the Battleship HMS Russell, built 1903, 14,000 tons, hit a mine laid by German U-boat U 73, 4 miles from Grand Harbour, Malta, Mediterranean Sea. 105 of the crew died immediately and 15 later from wounds.

Best wishes

David

David, he was one of the 15 who died later in Plymouth hospital.

Keith

The naval medal rolls are offline at kew on microfilm, but calculating a naval medal entitlement is usually easy. If a man was on an active ship (as opposed to a shore base, unless it was the various Victory admin bases for the Royal Naval Division) before 31 Dec 1915 he got a 1914/15 Star trio, if not they got a pair. If he was on Russell from the start of the war he saw action off the Belgian Coast in 1914, and in the Dardanelles 1915 (the naval side of the Galipolli campaign) and so definately qualified for his 1914/15 Star trio. The roll will show who it was sent to.

In that case, lookng at his length of service from his records he will be entitled to the 1914-15 trio and death plaque.

Keith

Hi,

You will be able to tell from the Service Record his ships and the dates he served on them which would give the information for the medals. If you can post the record the pals will help decipher it.

Regards Charles

Hi,

You will be able to tell from the Service Record his ships and the dates he served on them which would give the information for the medals. If you can post the record the pals will help decipher it.

Regards Charles

the record has very little on it as he was only 18 at his death, so there is the Victory as is training establishment and his only ship was HMS Russel.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
the record has very little on it as he was only 18 at his death, so there is the Victory as is training establishment and his only ship was HMS Russel.

Keith

Hi Keith

Looks like he was entitled to the 1914-15 trio and death plaque.

Regards

James

Hi Keith

Looks like he was entitled to the 1914-15 trio and death plaque.

Regards

James

James, I have now been able to purchase the trio and plaque but have not yes received them from a local auction, and the lady who was selling tells the auctioneer that there are several other bits and bobs that she will drop off with the auctioneer. So I will have to see what turns up.

Keith