Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

History of 56 Squadron, RAF

J Banning

Happy to send on the entire History of 56 Squadron, RAF (AIR 1/693/21/20/56) to anyone that requests it. This is about 45 pages long and has a full narrative as well as giving details of aces (anyone with over 5 kills), casualties and a detailed list of all the German aircraft brought down by the pilots of 56 Squadron.

I just snapped this when I was last at Kew looking through the file for the details of a casualty. Would be a great reference piece for any 56 Squadron buffs.

cheers

Jeremy

To add to that, I've photographed most of the surviving combat reports at TNA so if anybody is looking for a particular fight/date/pilot I could send them over.

Freddy

• 1 month later...

I would be really grateful of a copy of 56 Squadron war diaries, my grandfather served on it during WW1 but I don't know when, but it is a squadron I follow.

My e-mail address is susie.hill@sjpp.co.uk

Happy to send on the entire History of 56 Squadron, RAF (AIR 1/693/21/20/56) to anyone that requests it. This is about 45 pages long and has a full narrative as well as giving details of aces (anyone with over 5 kills), casualties and a detailed list of all the German aircraft brought down by the pilots of 56 Squadron.

I just snapped this when I was last at Kew looking through the file for the details of a casualty. Would be a great reference piece for any 56 Squadron buffs.

cheers

Jeremy

Freddy.

Not 56th Squadron but do you have anything on 2/Lt HEC Biederman of 57th Squadron? He joined the Squadron some time in 1917 (around May I think) and never returned from a photography mission over Houthulst Forest on 10th August?

Sorry if this is a bit vague.

Thanks.

Neil

• 7 years later...

Jeremy,

Apologies for resurrecting this old thread, but your mailbox is full.

Would you still have this history ? Am just starting work on a book on Frank Billinge who was with 56 Squadron through 1918...

Email is trenchart at the dot com version of hotmail.

Not sure if you still frequent this Forum, but no harm in asking!

Thanks

James