Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Letter from the Palace

AlanTB

I have just retrieved from the loft a letter from Buckingham Palace dated 1918. I was wondering if anyone knows if this letter was a commonplace one sent to (probably) a POW? It is on a cream coloured thick paper with the Royal Crest and Buckingham Palace in red at the top centre. Beneath this is hand written 1918. The rest of the letter is hand written as follows:

The Queen joins me in welcoming you on your release from the miseries + hardships, which you have endured with so much patience + courage.

During these many months of trial, the early rescue of our gallant Officers + Men from the cruelties of their captivity has been uppermost in our thoughts.

We are thankful that this longed for day has arrived, + that back in the old Country you will be able once more to enjoy the happiness of a home + to see good days among those who anxiously look for your return.

George R I

Any info greatly received.

Alan

your loft is more exciting than mine ! :)

Interesting - was it signed or was the name just in hand written print?

The King appears to have taken a special interest in officers who made successful escapes and there are a number of reports of him giving private audiences (about half an hour) to such after investing them with the MC.Major M C C Harrison and Capt H A Cartwright two serial escapers who both eventually made home runs both report this.

If the letter is a genuine autograph then its unlikely that it was standard for every returning POW after the end of the war. Possibly the recipient had suffered particularly badly or had been a persistant but unsuccesful escaper. Could he have been repatriated due to ill health?

I stand to be corrected but I think that it is a bog standard facsimile sent to all released PoWs.

Andy

When Alan said hand written I asumed he meant that rather than reproduced. Clarification needed

post-7895-1182116621.jpg

Standard reproduced document that looks hand written. Frequently has the name of the recipient hand written in pencil in the top left corner.

Doug

post-7895-1182116621.jpg

Standard reproduced document that looks hand written. Frequently has the name of the recipient hand written in pencil in the top left corner.

Doug

Yep, this is the one. Thanks, Alan.