Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Colonel Blimp

InkyBill

I'm not sure how to set my video, it seems as we've gone digital we've also gone backwards. Now i find myself desperately trying to stay awake in order to tape 'The life and Death of Colonel Blimp' (Monday 29th Dec ITV 1 02:40).

Is it true the cartoon caracter Colonel Blimp was based on Sir Herbert Plumer ?

Marc

I believe it was but i am not positive about the characters origins. What i do know is that Churchill tried to get it banned as he said it was going to be bad for moral. I can not disagree more having watched the film on numerous occasions. I would have thought it would have shown that the British subject was able to change and adapt and win through.

No need to video it as i have a good copy of my own and watch it periodically.

I would be interested on anyone elses comments on the propoganda value or not regarding the film and Churchills thoughts as right or wrong?

Arm.

I taped this.....................enjoyed it very much, I can see the propaganda side of it all the way through - 'the nasty Germans don't play fair!!'

The only thing that spoilt it for me was they had a bloke in the corner of the screen doing the sign language bit, took me about half an hour to get used to it :(

Is it true the cartoon caracter Colonel Blimp was based on Sir Herbert Plumer ?

I am not sure if this is true. It might have been, given his physical appearance. However, readers should not get the impression that Plumer was some tubby cartoon character. He was an extraordinary general. Much under-valued by Haig, from what I have read, but much respected by the men who served under him, particularly the Australians and New Zealanders, which says a lot.

Robert

Colonel Blimp was the creation of the New Zealand born cartoonist David Low and first appeared in the London newspaper, The Evening Standard, in 1934. Blimp was not a particular person, but represented much of what Low disliked about British politicians.

In his autoboigraphy Low said: "Blimp was no enthusiast for democracy. He was impatient with the common people and their complaints. His remedy to social unrest was less education, so that people could not read about slumps. An extreme isolationist, disliking foreigners ( which included Jews, Irish, Scots, Welsh and people from the Colonies and Dominions); a man of violence, approving war. He had no use for the League of Nations nor for international effort to prevent wars. In particular he objected to any economic reorganisation of world resources involving changes in the status quo."

From "Low's Autobiography" Michael Joseph, 1956.

Terry Reeves

I have not watched the whole film yet as its quite long, i'm up to WW1. I quite expected it to be in Black & White as it was made in the 40's. Having seen what i have i agree that the caracters appearance is losely based on Plumer, well if we're honest just the moustache that covers the fencing wound.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

An interesting line in the film is where Blimp talks about there being a War 40 years from 1942 when he is captured by the Regulars! (1982!!!!!).