Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ATTESTATION

KILTY

Question 10 on the attestation papers asked the would be recruit, " Did you receive a Notice, and do you understand its meaning, and who gave it to you?". What would this signify if the answer was yes.

John Ion.

Kilty

Quote from Boy Soldiers of the great war by Van Emden.

Talking about the Derby Scheme before this occurred there put together a National Register of 5,011,441 men of whom 2,179,231 where single, he goes into a few more fig's, but what you may be after is this,

( Using this infomation, it was possible to send a letter explaining the scheme to every eligible man in the country, followed by a vist from an appointed canvasser who went from door to door enquiring about men who had not enlisted).

So this could be the letter refered to in Question 10.

Hope this is of some help, Regards Kevin

Kevin

I think that this question appeared on papers from right at the very beginning of the war. I suspect (but stand to be corrected) that it has to do with the process of enlistment. A volunteer would sign on the dotted line and then often be sent home to await call-up. I think that this "notice" may well be an official notification of date of mobilisation.

Andy

post-7376-1182253025.jpg

A conscript under the Military Services Act would receive this "Notice", detailing why he was called up and where to report. The number refers to his National Registration number although the Class No. has been omitted. No regimental numbers were given until posted to the unit admitting them.

Graham.

Graham

Thanks for clearing that up, and a nice clear picture of Army Form W 3236. Was this form brought in after the Derby scheme or with the Derby scheme ?

Regards Kevin

'Notice' was integral to recruiting from way back. This from Regular and Militia Recruiting Regs 1900 for example.

I can scan the other pages if needed: PM with email address.

post-894-1182270029.jpg

The A.F. W.3236 is post-Derby Scheme and for conscripts. Derby Scheme lads were called forward under the "Group System", but as far as I'm aware I have no Group paperwork in my collection.

Graham.

Grumpy,

Are the regs from your own collection or copied from the University Library?