The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Help with photo

stevew

The attached photo, whom my dad believes is my Great Grandfather, George William Cruse.

I have only just started looking into to my family history, and the name of George is news to my dad. My dad was discussing with his brother and they believe it to be their grand father, whom they believed served in the Great War, but died in the late 20's as a result of injuries sustained.

My main query is can anyone recognise the uniform, I appreciate that the picture is of very poor quality, but any ideas would be greatly appreciated. My best guess is the badge looks like an artillery badge.

Many thanks for any help

Steve.

post-1-1072653867.jpg

I can confirm that it is a Artillery Cap Badge, heving served 27 years in the Gunners myself, see attached image I'm sorry that's it has a Queens Crown.

Regards

John

Lee, John,

Thanks for that info'. That is probably the easy bit - now I will have to see if I can find out anything about his service record/medal entitlement

Steve :)

Steve

He is certainly in the Royal Artillery. Since he's wearing the 1903 pattern bandolier, it also suggests that he was mounted. In other words, he was likely to have been a driver in the (Royal Field?) Artillery.

Good lucky with your research.

Cheers,

Jim

Jim

Interesting comment that you made regarding the bandolier. The attached phot of my great-uncle shows that same sort. All I know is that he was 1st Bn GG at the outbreak of war and transferred the the R.E. in August 1916.

When he died (8/1/1920) he was listed as a Pioneer. Can you offer any other info? This photo was taken in August 1918 when Arthur was 33 years old!

The haunted look in his eyes have always disturbed me :unsure: .

Regards

Andy

post-1-1072778010.jpg

Hi Andy,

my great uncle too served in the RA, yours and mine were probably both based at the woolich arsenal. I guess that because I noticed "sydenham" on the bottom right hand corner of your pic.

here's a pic of mine, also wearing the exact same kit as yours. The only difference is that my Albert is wearing spurs.

happy new year to you all.

Paul

post-1-1072794201.jpg

He is certainly in the Royal Artillery. Since he's wearing the 1903 pattern bandolier, it also suggests that he was mounted.

Jim,

Thanks for that, if you say it's the 1903 pattern bandolier. Does it suggest the picture is pre-WW1??

Steve