Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Why Leeds Pals enlisted at Colsterdale ?

taddy

Hi

Just looking up a Gerhard Arnulf 15 Bn 15/1215 caught my eye becauce he was Born in Christiana Norway and Enlisted into the Pals at colsterdale rather than Leeds.

On checking Those Who Died it appears 171 other men Enlisted there.

My question is does anyone know why ? I appreciate a mass enlistment took place at Leeds Town Hall in 1914, but why so many at Colsterdale.

On checking a lot of these men were from Leeds as well as other areas of Yorkshire was so they could have enlisted in Leeds, or could you just turn up at Colsterdale and enlist.

Thank you for your replys.

Taddy

http://leedsboysmodernrollofhonour.com/

http://www.tadcaster-ww1-memorials.com/

I don't have details to hand, but one of the men I'm researching also enlisted at Colsterdale. This was in January 1915, by which time the Battalion was based there for training. Looking at http://www.leedspals.co.uk/ it seems that the organisation was very efficient, and within weeks of the Battalion being planned they were under canvas and in training. A search on this site for Leeds Pals will bring up a host of information.

Hi Taddy

This is all the info I have for this Pal, hope it helps

Regards

Andy

Gerhard Arnulf KLOUMAN

Service Number 15/1215

Born: Christiania, Norway

Enlisted: Colsterdale

Served With: The 15th (Service) Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment

Made the Ultimate Sacrifice: 1st July 1916

Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 2 A 2 C and 2 D.

I suspect that if you want to be posted to a particular battalion (with your brother, pals, etc.) then turning up to the place where they were training would decrease the likelihood that the Army would send you elsewhere. By that time many of the New Army battalions weree starting to reassess the fitness and suitability of the recruits, and so it would be likely that a place could be found for a new man or ten?

Steve.

Thank You.

That has answered my question with Colsterdale being so far out although a decent railway service did excist in 1914-1915 just thought it unusual so many men enlisting there especially a Norwegian.

Leeds Andy i will contact you with information i find regarding our norwegian friend.

Dave

Info kindly supplied by my very good friend, Chris Noble.

Pte. Gerhard A. Klouman No. 15/1215 'B' Company, No. 7. Platoon, Section No. 9. The Platoon Commander was R.B.H. [Roy] Raynor, and Sgt. J. Vaile was the Platoon Sergeant.

Kind Regards,

Dave Mruk and Chris Noble

Thanks Dave / Chris

I didn't have his platoon information

Regards

Andy

Dave-Andy

I've just had a reply from Yorkshire Indexers. I've not had a chance to view the site yet, but it seems there's something been added on G.A. Klouman--photo perhaps.

Cheers,

Dave

Colsterdale is a small, quiet, beautiful dale and well worth a visit.

You can still see where the camp was but it is hard to imagine over 1000 men training there.

A memorial stands there and is the perfect setting to remember.

I recommend a visit to the market town of Masham, lunch and a visit to the second hand shop. The owner will be wearing an old bowler hat and every now and again has the odd bit of militaria. then a few miles on to Colsterdale - a perfect Sunday.

Sean

As an ex resident of Masham I've got to agree with Sean's post :D Also just outside Masham is Roomer Common which was the location of the camp of the 35th (Bantam) in the summer of 1915.

There are some graves in Masham churchyard of soldiers who died during their stay.

Roger

PS Don't forget the two breweries!!