Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Disappeared like a "phantom" in the night

John_Hartley

William Fantom is commemorated on the main Stockport town war memorial. Press reports indicate his death from gas poisoning in October 1917 whilst serving with 6th North Staffordshires as a bandsman (and presumably stretcher bearer).

The Fantom's are fairly well documented in the Stockport area so I am sure the name is right (and I reckon I've found his local birth in 1896). But, I can't him on CWGC, SDGW or the GRO for overseas deaths. Nor can I find a North Staffs man with this name.

He doesnt appear to have died in the Stockport area (according to Cheshire BMD) and FreeBMD has no listings of the name for the wartime period.

The press describes him as "formerly of Stockport" so I suppose he might have died elsewhere in the UK after being discharged. Anyone got any thoughts?

TIA

John

John

It doesn't fit in with your estimated DOB, but there's a death registered for a William Fantom, December quarter of 1917, Burton Registration District, ref. 6b 372. This man was 46 years old, but the place of death is not far off the mark?

Sue

John

i have found a William Fantom who died Burton district, but he is aged 46 - DC details are Burton 6b 372

he is the only Fantom listed for Q4 1917

Chris

Looks like Sue was a tad in front of me

Chris

John,

GRO Deaths Index on findmypast has

Qtr 4 1917

William Fantom

Burton 6b (or could be 8b its a very fuzzy image) Page 372

Looks like your man was discharged and died in Uk

Peter

And it does look like the right man, as the 1901 census gives him as:

Thornley Street, Horninglow, Staffs

William Fantom 30 House Painter

Mary Fantom Wife

Alfred Fantom 10

Ethel Fantom 7

William Fantom 4

All born Stockport. Presumably you'd honed in on the son rather than the father?

Sue

He was the son of Joseph Fantom, a joiner, and his wife Elizabeth, living 5 Lord Street, Stockport [1881]

Sue

Just had a look at the MICs

15 Fantoms, but only one with the N Staffs - Alfred Fantom Private 241007

Yep. Looks good.

CheshireBMD gives me an 1871 birth registered at Stockport which would spot on for age. Time to dust off the credit card.

Listen very carefully, I shall this only once.......

........Many thanks all round, you guys are the best.

John

Well, the good news is that I've got his death certificate and he was house painter so it looks like he is the man Sue shows as living at Horninglow in 1901. He'd married Mary E Brookes in a civil ceremony registered at Stockport in 1889.

The bad news is that his cause of death was nephritis which doesnt sound like a consequence of the gas poisoning reported in the press. As Chris points out the only North Staffs man is Alfred so that can't be him which means that, if he served abroard and was gassed it must have been with another unit. Then again, newspapers being newspapers, the report may be inaccurate. I think I'm going to have to draw a line under this one.

John

John

Nephritis is inflammation of the kidney. The word comes from the Greek nephro- meaning "of the kidney" and -itis meaning "inflammation". Nephritis is often caused by infections, toxins, and auto-immune diseases.

from Wikeipedia

I have seen this on a few death certs of serving & ex serving soldiers & they have been accepted so dont give up

chris

Medal card of Fantom, William H

Corps: Cheshire Regiment

Regiment No: 7822

1914-1920 WO 372/7

Medal card of Fantom, William

Corps: Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Regiment No: 29125

1914-1920 WO 372/7

Corps: Royal Garrison Artillery

Regiment No: 82918

1914-1920 WO 372/7

Corps: Royal Field Artillery

Regiment No: 111424

1914-1920 WO 372/7

Only 4 William Fantoms & the Cheshire Regt lad is my favourite

chris

John

Nephritis is inflammation of the kidney. The word comes from the Greek nephro- meaning "of the kidney" and -itis meaning "inflammation". Nephritis is often caused by infections, toxins, and auto-immune diseases.

Often when the term "nephritis" is used without qualification, the condition meant is Glomerulonephritis, also known as glomerular nephritis and abbreviated GN'.

This is a primary or secondary immune-mediated renal disease characterized by inflammation of the glomeruli, or small blood vessels in the kidneys. It may present with isolated hematuria and/or proteinuria (blood resp. protein in the urine); or as a nephrotic syndrome, a nephritic syndrome, acute renal failure, or chronic renal failure. They are categorised into several different pathological patterns, which are broadly grouped into non-proliferative or proliferative types. Diagnosing the pattern of GN is important because the outcome and treatment differs in different types. Primary causes are one which are intrinsic to the kidney, whilst secondary causes are associated with certain infections (bacterial, viral or parasitic pathogens), drugs, systemic disorders (SLE, vasculitis) or cancers.

Jon

• 2 months later...
The bad news is that his cause of death was nephritis which doesnt sound like a consequence of the gas poisoning reported in the press. As Chris points out the only North Staffs man is Alfred so that can't be him which means that, if he served abroard and was gassed it must have been with another unit. Then again, newspapers being newspapers, the report may be inaccurate. I think I'm going to have to draw a line under this one.

Spotted this as I've just had the good fortune to succeed with an 'In From The Cold' died from nephritis. The newspaper also reported in his case gas poisioning. However no mention of this on the medical record, which turned up and got the result. (nephritis was 'particularily prevalent' where he served) Before this happened I was googling around to find more of this disease. I found a couple of contemporary papers (1916, 1919) that had studied it. It seems it was responsible for 10% of hospital admissions in certain areas and the cause was never really identified. Mortality was reported to be extremly low. Indian troops were comparativly immune.

I also found a few papers written in recent years on 'trench nephritis' but did not have access to the online papers, which require a subscription. Any medical men seen these and can comment on whether the cause was established and what the eventual mortality figures were?

• 1 month later...

Just to round off this story, I found William's papers amongst the "pension" ones on Ancestry. He was discharged through ill health on 3 April 1916 - some 18 months prior to his death - and never served abroad. Story ends....

John