Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Collection and Shipping of Sphagnum Moss - Shetland

Robb Robinson

I am trying to find out more information about the gathering and processing of sphagnum moss for field dressings c1916. I know that these were extensively used at the time but am particularly keen to know of any sources relating to the collection and processing and shipping of these from Shetland around this period. I am also interested in knowing if there were any fatalities due to the use of Corrosive Sublimate (a mercury compound) in the process. If anyone can point me in the direction of useful references I would be most grateful.

Robb

Whilst not directly connected to the collection and processing in the Shetlands it might be worth trying the Wellcome Collection which has an item:

'Sphagnum Moss in Surgery' scrapbook: reports, correspondence and newspaper cuttings re use of sphagnum moss as a surgical dressing, 1915-19 GC/166.

Link to website here. Sphagnum moss item is about 2 inches from bottom of page.

Peter

• 4 weeks later...
I am trying to find out more information about the gathering and processing of sphagnum moss for field dressings c1916. I know that these were extensively used at the time but am particularly keen to know of any sources relating to the collection and processing and shipping of these from Shetland around this period. I am also interested in knowing if there were any fatalities due to the use of Corrosive Sublimate (a mercury compound) in the process. If anyone can point me in the direction of useful references I would be most grateful.

I was in the Shetlands about 5 years ago and remember seeing photos in a museum of children collecting moss for field dressings.

I have a feeling it was probably Tangwick Haa museum on Shetland.

Good hunting