Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS ATTACK

Rob Bulloch

Would any one have a picture of "The HMS Attack" my Grandfather was on board when she was Sunk.

Cheers All Rob.

Would any one have a picture of "The HMS Attack" my Grandfather was on board when she was Sunk.

Cheers All Rob.

hi rob, hope this will do. tony

Brilliant!!! Tony.

Thanks for the photograph I have been looking for this for a while.

Cheers Rob.

Brilliant!!! Tony.

Thanks for the photograph I have been looking for this for a while.

Cheers Rob.

HI ROB, no problem happy to help, one more photo and

http://www.merchantnavyofficers.com/rm2.html check this site out. tony

Thanks again Tony.

The second Photograph is great, its different from the usual Port or Stbd view that you usually get of a Ship. Tony do you know if there is a crew list available for HMS ATTACK on line, the reason I am asking is there were two lads from my area were crew members and were drowned when she went down

Cheers Rob.

Thanks again Tony.

The second Photograph is great, its different from the usual Port or Stbd view that you usually get of a Ship. Tony do you know if there is a crew list available for HMS ATTACK on line, the reason I am asking is there were two lads from my area were crew members and were drowned when she went down

Cheers Rob.

hwww.jrawl.co.uk/pugh.htm - 22k hi rob, check out site, i will do a little searching for you ,did you get personnel message with other site on , last photo looks like she is heading into liverpool . tony

Hi Tony

PM received I had the Clyde site among my favourites already, I will give the other site a try.

Cheers Rob.

Hello Rob, this is the Admiralty casualty list for the Attack when she was sunk on 30-Dec-17 by UC 34.

FRANCIS, WILLIAM C. , L/STOKER, K 4659 (Po)

FREDERICK, FRANCIS W., STOKER P.O., 293303 (Po)

HENLEY, PERCY, L/STOKER, K 2369 (Po)

JACKSON, JAMES W., STOKER 1c, SS 109980

KENNEDY, BERTRAM J., P.O. 1c, 185704 (Po)

LANG, FRANK T., OFFICER'S STEWARD 1c, 362653

MATHESON, GEORGE H., STOKER P.O., 290620 (Po)

PIPE, WALTER, A.B., 221088 (Po)

REED, WILLIAM A., A.B., J 28490 (Po)

THORBURN, ROBERT A., STOKER 1c, K 25646 (Po)

Best wishes

David

Hello David.

Thanks for the list this is a great help to me, I am trying to compile a list of casualties Merchant Navy and Royal Navy crews on the "Troopship Aragon" and "HMS Attack" my Grandfather 303015 Pte George Clarkson 7th Royal Scots was on board The Aragon when it was torpedoed, he managed to got off, and was taken aboard the HMS Attack, which as you know was also sunk, he survived both attacks a very lucky lad.

Cheers Rob.

Steve.

Thanks for the link to the 5th Battalion Bedford Regiment, I am trying to make up a list of casualties on both the "SS ARAGON" and the "HMS ATTACK" Is there a passenger list for the ARAGON ? is there a crew listing for the "HMS ATTACK" or an honour roll? I have some old newspaper cuttings of the sinkings, they give information on the casualty numbers for the "ARAGON," with photographs, but nothing for the "HMS ATTACK" any information you have, or if you could point me in the right direction, this would be great help.

Thanks again Steve Cheers Rob.

Hello Rob, this is the only RN man lost on the Aragon.

VIBERT, PERCY H., L/SEAMAN (RFR B 6047), 203532 (Po), ARAGON H.M. Transport (hired), 30-Dec-17, SHIP LOSS.

Best wishes

David

I can have a look at the Times on line for a list if you do not already have one? If you dont, email me and I will have a look in the next day or two.

Steve. Thanks for your offer of the Times look-up I will Email you regarding this.

David. Thanks for your help on this, for some reason I could not open the file you sent me, I think my old PC is giving me a bit of bother.

Thanks again Regards Rob.

• 3 weeks later...

For the naval ratings their service registers are at Kew, they can be seen for free there or downloaded for £3.50. As an example:

Name Vibert, Percy Herbert

Official Number: 203532

Place of Birth: Saint Heliers Jersey, Channel Islands

Date of Birth:10 May 1883

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1