Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

kew look up

calvin

hello all, due to an incapacity at the moment i am unable to get to kew and i wondered if anyone could help with a look at my grandfathers service records. thanks to help from one of the old sweats i have some info already. my grandfathers service record was DA1990, this remained the same throughout the war even though he became an officer, he was born 26 may 1888 in north somercoates lincs, parents names frank and hannah, his enlistment address was 36 guildford st. grimsby, he enlisted as a deckhand in nov. 1914 in grimsby, his address was changed during the war to 118 orwell st. grimsby during the war. he was promoted through the ranks from deck hand to temp. skipper. he was mentioned in despatches in 1919 and received the 1914/15 star trio, if anyone can help with any further info. from kew such as the reason for his mention in despatches, where he was stationed and what ships he was on etc. i would be most grateful, like a lot of other trawlermen he also served in ww2 as well from 1940 to 1943 when he died, i know he was on the hms glow and the montano in ww2 as commanding officer but do not know where and what ships etc for ww1, thankyou all again, regards john