Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Old photo of young Sailor

A.A.Savery

Hi all,

I would be delighted if some of you Navy people could throw a little light on this photo that I have just found amongst my family photos.

He’s certainly not a direct relative of mine, but I am very curious to try to discover something about him.

The name of his ship looks to me like WAMEMNON although the ‘W’ does look a bit dodgy.

The only possible names that I can think of is BRAIN or MUNNS as I believe that he would be related through marriage on my uncles side of the family.

On the back it says that the photographer is Harry Wheeler Ltd. Weymouth.

There is also a letter and number which looks like B9818.

The photo is on thick cardboard and quite worn at the edges as you can see.

Any ideas anyone please?

Thanks,

Tony

post-14730-1181419843.jpg

Tony.

It is "HMS AGAMEMNON" built in Clydebank 1906.

Cheers Rob.

Tony, it look like the Agamemnon, a British battleship of the Lord Nelson class. 16,500 tons and a compliment of 865. Built around 1906.

Keith

Tony, two pictures of HMS AGAMEMNON one 1915 and the other later.

Cheers Rob

Many thanks Rob and Keith.

Is it possible to put a date on his outfit?

Would it be World War One?

Thanks for the photos too Rob!

Cheers,

Tony

Tony,

At a guess 'August 1914' The photo was taken in Weymouth and the Agememnon was crewed up in Portland she landed her personal gear and was directed to the Channel Squadron. In Jan 1915 she sailed to the Eastern Med where she remained until the end of the war. Then went to Russia possibly visiting Portland/Weymouth. After the war she was a target ship.

Regards Charles

Tony.

This is a photograph of HMS Agamemnon as a wireless controlled target ship, for HMS Valiant 5th October 1926.

Cheers Rob.

A very big ‘Thank you’, to Per Ardua, Charles and Rob for all that extremely helpful information. I am simply amazed that what I thought would be a difficult question, looks as if it has been solved.

I think that I now know who it is, although I still have to check on my notes which I do not have to hand at the present.

In the meantime I would appreciate your estimations on the age of this seaman?

Cheers,

Tony

Tony, If you can get hold of the book "Dardanelles - A Midshipman's Diary 1915-16" by HM Denham, you would find it an interesting read. Denham was serving in HMS AGAMEMNON through the Gallipoli campaign and his diary gives an absorbing insight into life in the old battleship during those years.

I would say your sailor was about 15-18.

H2

Hi H2,

Thanks for the tip and age estimation.

I'll be in England next week so I will definitely be visiting a few book shops; or would it be much cheaper ordered on line?

Cheers,

Tony

Sorry but I wouldn't have thought he was that young.

I think a reasonable estimate would be low 20's, at most 23.

Kim

Hi all,

Well, that didn’t take long as the mystery is solved thanks to Per Ardua leading me to his naval records document.

He was William George BRAIN, born Bermondsey 8th of July 1891, maternal grandfather of my first cousin.

He began his naval career aboard H.M.S. Ganges on the 9th of March 1909.

He first boarded H.M.S AGAMEMNON on the 4th of December 1909 when he would have been 18 years and 5 months of age, where he stayed for one year. He served a total of 12 years aboard 19 different ships until 9th August 1921 when he was registered as unemployed.

His service during the Great War saw him aboard:

HMS Patrol. 27th January – 23rd October 1914

HMS Pembroke I. 24th October – 18th December 1914

HMS Undaunted. 19th December 1914 – 5th August 1915

HMS Pembroke I. 21st October 1915 – 17th April 1916

HMS Vivid I. 18th April 1916 – 30th April 1916

HMS Royal Oak. 1st May 1916 – 4th July 1921

If anyone can come up with any details of where these ships would have served during the war years, I will be more than delighted.

I would like to have posted his records on the GWF but I don’t know how to convert PDF to JPEG.

One final thought; how does a sailor who has had more than his rum ration, manage to say ‘HMS AGAMEMNON’?

Thanks,

Tony

Tony

I could be off the mark with this But!! I think "HMS VIVID" a Naval land base. one of the other members of the Forum will know. And "HMS ROYAL OAK" was at the Battle of Jutland

Cheers Rob.

I'm not sure if there was a Pembroke I and Vivid I during WW1. The record I have shows Pembroke II as the R.N. Barracks at Chatham between 1911-1926 and Vivid II the R.N. Barracks at Devonport in 1919.

Keith

HMS Patrol. Scout Cruiser

Picture http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/pathfinder_class.htm

HMS Pembroke I. Yes there was a I otherwise there wouldn't have been a Pembroke II! Barracks at Chatham between 1873-1983

HMS Undaunted. Cruiser. Supported the Cuxhaven (seaplane carrier) raid and took part in Battle of Dogger Bank; during his service with her.

Pictures http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/aret..._class_1913.htm

HMS Vivid I. Barracks at Devonport 1890-1934 when it was renamed (he was probably here whilst his next ship was fitting out)

HMS Royal Oak. 15 inch gun battleship was at the Battle of Jutland

Pictures http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/royaloak.htm

Pembroke II was Royal Naval Air Station Eastchurch

Vivid II 1914-1915 Devonport accounting base according to Lt Cdr B Warlow, 'Shore Establishments of the Royal Navy'

• 1 month later...

My apologies for taking so long to reply to all of you who have contributed here.

I have just got back from holiday, so please accept my belated, ‘thank you’.

Now I have to get back into this again to carry on where I left off.

Now where was I?

Cheers,

Tony