Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

STRIPES ON ARM

Stephen White

i have a photo of one of my grandmothers uncles in uniform from WW1.i suspect he may have been in the dragoon guards,he is certainly wearing spurs and a forage "style" cap in the photo.(i am awaiting confirmation on all of this).on his arm near the cuff of his jacket are two upwards facing chevrons,what rank does this make him ??.attatched is just this portion of the photograph,you can just make out the stripes. STEVEN

post-23-1072539742.jpg

LB,

My intention, in providing the link, was to, hopefully, obviate the need for further questions such as What they denote, When awarded etc.

Is providing too much info any worse than providing too little?

HUSSAR AND LANGLEYBASTON1418. thank you both !! between you both you've both answered my question.it seems that my grandmother's uncle was a "good lad" and behaved himself.although i must admit that after the original posting i was going to take the stripes as "long service" stripes. STEVEN. :)

after the original posting i was going to take the stripes as "long service" stripes.      STEVEN. :)

STEVEN,

They are.

The full title is 'Long Service and Good Conduct Badge'

They are awarded for a given length of service provided the man has been of good character during that period. i.e he has not had any disciplinary problems.

They also provided some defence if later brought up on a charge as they could be lost as part of the punishment, resulting in a lesser penalty to the man himself.

So, providing that he had behaved himself, your Grandmother's Uncle had, at the time of the photo, served somewhere between 6 and 11 years.

HUSSAR. thank you.your answer again proves to me don't look at something and "assume".i'd initially looked at the photograph of my grandmothers uncle and "assumed" i was looking at a WW1 serviceman "end of story".but when you look into it a bit closer,i'm now looking at a soldier who's service exceeded that of the length of WW1,possibly by as much as 6 or 7 years.so i could be looking at a whole combination of possibilties !!.as i've said else where on the forum "one step forward,two steps backward".but'll be fun looking for those answers to the new questions. STEVE :)

The full title is 'Long Service and Good Conduct Badge'

I expect you are right, but I can not find this in any of my official sources, eg Pay Warrant 1914 section 1080 et seq. What is your source for title to include 'Long Service' please?