Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Assistant Matron, No 8 Gen Hosp, Boisguillaume

michaeldr

I wonder if anyone can help to identify who was the Assistant Matron at No.8 General Hospital, BEF, in October 1916

and who wrote the letter to Mrs Dodds which can be seen here

regards

Michael

Michael

There is a MD Woodhouse in the 1916 Army List under QAIMNS. She is listed as a Sister but by the time the letter was written could well have been Assistant matron.

Pete Starling

Michael

She was Mary Davidson Woodhouse, born 6 October 1970, the daughter of a Captain in the Merchant Service. Educated privately in Sunderland, and trained at Sunderland Infirmary from November 1900 - 1903. She joined Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service as a Staff Nurse on 20 November 1905, and was promoted to Sister on 17 October 1911.

She doesn't seem to have a service file at TNA, but my own records show her to have resigned on marriage, which might have resulted in her file being one that was destroyed in the 1930s pruning, as not likely ever to become active again. I can piece together some of her movements from other documents. She was one of the original QA Sisters to go to France, and for a long time was working at No.7 General Hospital at Malassises/St. Omer. She transferred to No.3 Stationary, Rouen in April 1916, and then soon after to No.8 General. By June of 1917 she was in charge at No.10 Casualty Clearing Station at Remy, but she seems to disappear from the records by the end of that year, so probably returned to England around that time - I guess it's possible that was when she married.

Sue

Sue & Pete, thanks for your interest,

Sue,

Very many thanks for that further information

Mary Davidson Woodhouse's MIC can be seen on the other thread

Her award for later service on the Italian front (mentioned by Esskay-Sue) can be seen in the SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 1 JANUARY, 1919.

His Majesty the KING has been graciously

pleased to award the Royal Red Cross to the

undermentioned ladies of the Nursing Services

in recognition of their valuable services with

the British Forces in Italy: —

AWARDED THE ROYAL RED CROSS,

1st CLASS.

Miss Mary Davidson Woodhouse, A.R.R.C.,

Matron, Q.A.I.M.N.S.

Thanks again for your help with this

Michael

• 4 months later...
Sue & Pete, thanks for your interest,

Sue,

Very many thanks for that further information

Mary Davidson Woodhouse's MIC can be seen on the other thread

Her award for later service on the Italian front (mentioned by Esskay-Sue) can be seen in the SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 1 JANUARY, 1919.

His Majesty the KING has been graciously

pleased to award the Royal Red Cross to the

undermentioned ladies of the Nursing Services

in recognition of their valuable services with

the British Forces in Italy: —

AWARDED THE ROYAL RED CROSS,

1st CLASS.

Miss Mary Davidson Woodhouse, A.R.R.C.,

Matron, Q.A.I.M.N.S.

Thanks again for your help with this

Michael

Dear Michael dr

This is the third time I have tried to send you a note - apologies if others have arrived disjointed.

I am looking into my Grandfather Maj Gen C.E.Pollock RAMC who in March 1915 was ADMS at Malassises No 7 General hospital.

I have a photograph of the officers and nursing sister/matron which I will try and attach to this message. CE Pollock is directly behind her looking away from the camera.

Hope this helps and if you have anything on Malassises I would be grateful.

Regards

robertp

post-25376-1192098925.jpg