Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAF Service Records AIR 79

shinglma

Can anyone tell me what the cut-off date is for RAF records at Kew. Is it the same as the Army records eg 1920.

I'm trying to establish after what date one should contact historical disclosures.

Also is it possible to determine it by the airmans number i.e., numbers over 329000 are still held by the MOD (see NA catalog reference here).

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Mike S

The cut off for the RAF is by number strictly not by date, because the RAF renumbering meant that some of the higher numbered servicemen had started their service before number 329,000 started his. As far as I know service records for 329,001 onwards, plus servicemen still serving into the 1920s are still with MOD. As are the RAF medal index cards.

shinglma

I have done quite a lot of work recently and I can confirm that after 329,000 the records are with held by the MoD, reputedly because these men were intended to serve in the RAF after 1920 ish. Men intending to serve after 1920 were allocated a new number above 329,000 and their old record was in some cases removed and in others it was left and annotated that they had been renumbered. Also there were men who were intending to continue in the peace time RAF and therefore renumbered and but left the service early, and there were a few men who joined the RFC and their numbers were high enough for their records to be withheld even though they left the service during 1919. I hope this helps.

john_g

Thanks to you both - that helps me get a handle on the particular case I'm looking at.

Much appreciated.

regards

Mike S