Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC Headstones-Personal Inscriptions

Marc Thompson

I may be mistaken but some time ago I recall a thread that discussed the Final Verification Forms that were sent out in the very early 1920's by IWGC to all next of kin. These requested for the individual concerned, confirmation of personal details, details of the next-of-kin and allowed addition of 'further information'. They also requested details of any personal inscription required on the headstone.

My question concerns this last point. Was a list of suggested inscriptions produced that n-o-k could choose from? I'm pretty certain that there was and that this thread listed those inscriptions. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find it using the search facility.

Is anyone able to confirm my recollection and perhaps republish the list if they have it to hand?

Regards

Marc

Marc

Your recollection about the thread is correct. However, I can't find it either!

I seem to recall that it was not a full list but examples of the most common phrases found. The gist of it was that these phrases occurred so often that there must have been some sort of crib sheet supplied from which n-o-k could choose a stock phrase.

I believe John Laffin mentioned something similar about suggested phrases in his book 'We Will Remember Them'.

Unfortunately I haven't got access to this book at the moment so can't check if he mentions the inscriptions that were suggested.

Thanks for the responses.

Stuart - Thanks for the link. I came across this as well when I was looking. Unfortunately, it wasn't the thread that I was thinking of.

I'll keep looking and let you know if I can track it down.

Regards

Marc

Marc

I think the thread you need is the one that starts 'Twelve Tree Copse...' - if you search on this you'll find it.

Regards - Sue

That's the boyo Sue.

Many thanks.

Marc

Whilst I do not have a copy, the description of the book by John Laffin, makes it clear that the inscriptions are taken only from the graves of Australian soldiers.

Is there an actual definitive list as such?

Barrie Dobson