Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Troop Ships April 1915

JMO

I am looking for the name(s) of the ship(s) used to transport the Northumberland Fusiliers from England to France in April 1915

50th Northumbrian Division War Diary:

"20th April 1915

Left Folkestone 8:15pm

Arrived Boulogne 9:40pm"

Does anyone know the name of the ship(s) used?

Or perhaps have a link that will assist me?

JohnMO

No sign of a 1/4 Bn War Diary in the NA Catalogue ! It woudl be in there probably. Maybe you can find the ship name in the sister Bn Diaries,both were in the same Brigade (149) :

WO95/2829 6th Bn: WO95/2830 7th Bn; and Brigade HQ at the time WO95/2826.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Thanks Gents, a couple of good leads to follow there.

Cheers!

JohnMO

No sign of a 1/4 Bn War Diary in the NA Catalogue ! It woudl be in there probably. Maybe you can find the ship name in the sister Bn Diaries,both were in the same Brigade (149) :

WO95/2829 6th Bn: WO95/2830 7th Bn; and Brigade HQ at the time WO95/2826.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Cheers,

I have the 1/4Bn War Diaries, it refers to the crossing but not the ships name.

I think I have found it:

Bolougne 20th April

The Battalion of 27 officers and 915 other ranks left Blyth between 8.30 and 9.30am., en route for Folkestone. At Folkestone, boarded the S.S. Victoria at 8.45pm and disembarked at Bolougne at 10.30pm. Proceeded to St. Martins Camp, about 3 miles South East from the landing stage.

Tr.S.S. VICTORIA.

Launched 27-2-1907 Gross Tonnage 1640.68 Length, (OA) 322ft Pass Acc 1st Class 797, 3rd Class 843 Trial speed 22.575 knots. Built for the South Eastern and Chatham Railway. she served as a Cross Channel ferry.

On January 11th 1919 she had the distinction of conveying the Imperial Delegation to the Versailles Peace Conference. notable passengers on this voyage included Lloyd George. the Canadian, Australian. New Zealand and South African Prime Ministers and the Japanese Ambassador etc.

Purchased by the Steam Packet Co in 1920 she remained on station until 1940 when she was mined in the River, Mersey but not sunk. Repaired and requisitioned by the Admiralty she operated as a target towing vessel until 1943 when she was used to train troops for the imminent invasion of Europe and on D Day in 1944 landed British invasion forces at Arromanches, and for a few days continued American forces on the Utah beachhead.

With the invasion progressing successfully. the VICTORIA reverted to a personnel carrier ferrying supplies. and troops between the newly liberated French ports and England Returning to the Steam Packet Co in 1947 she served the Steam-Packet Company until being scrapped in 1957.

I am reasonably confident this is right.

John Mo,

As a new member I hope this will come out OK. I am interested in the 50th and the soldier I am researching was in the 149th Brigade (Northumberland), this is made up of a number of battalions 1/4th, 1/5th, 1/6th, 1/7th all Northumberland Fusiliers, also there are several others. My person was in the 1/7th and sailed from Folkstone on the 20th April 1915 at 11pm and arrived in Bolougne on the 21st April at 2am the ship was the SS Invicta, so not all the 50th was on the same ship.

JohnMO

Is that the name of the company - 'Steam Packet Co', or could it be the Isle of Man S.P.Co? The Mersey conection makes me think the latter.

Daggers

I am looking for the name(s) of the ship(s) used to transport the Northumberland Fusiliers from England to France in April 1915

50th Northumbrian Division War Diary:

"20th April 1915

Left Folkestone 8:15pm

Arrived Boulogne 9:40pm"

Does anyone know the name of the ship(s) used?

Or perhaps have a link that will assist me?

JOHN MO i have photos of the victoria and invicta if you need them, send pm with your email address if you require them. tony