Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Messines Ridge

Roy Evans

During research on another posting, I came across a reference to a scale model of the Messines Ridge battle site, built to commemorate the successful battle of 1917, on Cannock Chase in Staffordshire, UK. I have an approximate location for it although it is said to be now covered in gorse (and presumably several tonnes of earth.)

Does anyone have any further details?

Roy

Roy

The site is still identfiable but covered in undergrowth. If you care to shuffle around though you still make out some humps and bumps but the model has long gone. Follow the road past the entrance to Cannock Chase CWGC and on to Coppice Hill. The site is near the carpark, opposite the quarry. You can buy a map at the visiors centre in Marquis Drive just off Brindley Heath Rd.

Terry Reeves

Thanks Terry,

I know the area fairly well and have several times visited Freda’s Grave but until yesterday did not know of the model, nor did I know that the immediate vicinity was home to one of the WW1 camps!

When you say it is “long gone” do you know for sure that it has been broken-up or could it be that layers of soil have merely softened its contours and it is still intact beneath?

Roy ;)