Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospital Location

Tonym

I am reproducing this photo as a result of information received from BRCS Archives. I am hoping that someone with a good knowledge of Scotland, particularly the Dumfriesshire area, can solve the problem of location.

BRCS have provided me with a list of their War Auxiliary Hospitals in the Dumfiesshire and Border areas as follows: -

DUMFRIESSHIRE

Castle Milk Auxiliary Hospital, Lockerbie [Donor Sir Robert & Lady Buchanan Jardine, Castle Milk, Lockerbie]

Drumlanrig Auxiliary Hospital, Thornhill [Donor The Duke & Duchess of Buccleuch]

Dryfeholm Auxiliary Hospital, Lockerbie [Donor Mr. & Mrs Jardine of Jardine Hall, Lockerbie

Lockerbie Auxiliary Hospital, Lockerbie [Donor Sir Robert & Lady Buchanan Jardine, Castle Milk, Lockerbie]

Moffat Auxiliary Hospital, Moffat [Donor Trustees and Members of the Proudfoot Institure, Moffat]

WIGTOWNSHIRE

Glendarroch Auxiliary Hospital,Craighlaw, Kirkowan

Physgill Auxiliary Hospital, Whithorn

Lochinch Auxiliary Hospital, Castle Kennedy

STEWARTRY OF KIRCUDBRIGHTSHIRE

Broomlands Auxiliary Hospital, near Dumfries

ROXBURGH

Newton Don Auxiliary Hospital, Kelso

BERWICKSHIRE

Manderston Auxiliary Hospital, Coldingham

Southfield Auxiliary Hospital, Duns

Thirlestane Castle Auxiliary Hospital, Lauder

Ecles Auxiliary Hospital, Eccles

Lennel Auxiliary Hospital, Coldstream

The photo was taken no later than 20th May 1915 as the young officer on the right, Capt James Dykes, sailed for Gallipoli on 21st May. If anybody can identify the location of where this group was taken I and Capt. Dyke’s granddaughter will be most grateful.

Tony

post-1946-1180898236.jpg

Thanks Malcolm

I will keep a note of them but I think they look a little too big. At least that identifies two of them.

Tony

Here's a link to a photo of Eccles House in Berwickshire. Doesn't look like this was the place.

There's a photo of Lennel House here and I don't think this is it either!

Sassoon was at Lennel if I remember correctly. I assume Eccles House was the location of the hopital listed. At least you can rule them out!