Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HM B class Submarines

James A Pratt III

I am looking for information on British WW I B class submarines. Can anyone help me? any help would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

BR3043 is a useful technical document and will provide you with much of what you need to know. You can find a copy online here:

http://www.submariners.co.uk/Boats/BR3043/index.htm

There is some good coverage on the marque in 'The Submarine Service 1900-1918@ (Ashgate)

If BR3043 does not contain the information you seek, drop me or the RN Submarine Museum a line

Yhe B.10 I am writing an artical about her loss. A photo of this boat that I can use would be great. Any info on the other B class subs that served in the med in WW I would be usefull. They are the B.6 to B.11.

Hi James,

the following books have photos and articles on B10.

1/ 100 years of Royal Navy Submarines , by Jeremy Flack.

2/ The Royal Navy Submarine Servive, by Anthony Preston, some good photos.

3/ HM Submarines in camera, by Commander J.J.Tall & Paul Kemp.

3/ Mediterranean Submarines, by Michael Wilson and Paul Kemp, this has the most info!

5/ If you punch in,` Submarine Logs B10,' on the England National Archive site it will come up with most of her logs for her wartine service, i have already checked for yopu. From here you can either view them for nothing there, or order 10 pages you require for 8 1/2 pounds which will be sent via email. I find this is the best wat to get a story right, using the official logs.

6/ You could also try the National Archive for her patrol reports, these would be harder to find.

I had a relative lited on the B class boats in the med in which i don't know to much about, i would be interested to see what you come up with.

cathydarren@optusnet.com.au

There's a large model of HM Submarine B.11 just off the Hume Highway in Holbrook, about 500 km south west of Sydney, in New South Wales (see the photo below). The town was called Germanton, but this was thought unsuitable in the early days of the Great War, and in early 1915 the decision was made to change the name to Holbrook, in honour of Lt Norman Holbrook RN, the captain of B.11, who had just been awarded the VC for exploits in the Dardanelles.

A torpedo of the type used by B class submarines is also on display, and some items relating to Lt Holbrook are in the town museum.

Although it's about 250 km inland, Holbrook has another link with submarines as the upper hull of HMAS Otway, formerly used by the RAN, is also on display.

Gareth

post-45-1181016378.jpg

Hello James,

you can find an article on the B's in the Northern Adriatic there:

Warship International No. 1, 1989 (pages 10 to 29)

"Five broken down B-boats, british submarine operations in the Northern Adriatic 1915 - 1917"

by Paul Kemp and Peter Jung

It's very well researched and also gives you some TNA-references !

Oliver

James, B10 Logs are contained in PRO / NA files ADM 173 /

151 050814 - 091014

152 101014 - 161214

153 171214 - 250215

154 260215 - 010515

155 020515 - 060715

156 010316 - 140516

157 150516 - 150716

158 160716 - 220816

Good Hunting, Sadsac