Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Please

Pippa1

post-21667-1180790997.jpg

Request please, but first a bit of info from my end.

I am the 'Honorary Historian' of the Watsonia Returned and Services Club. One of the services we provide is a free information and where possible records of ex-servicemen and women living and deceased, to their families.

Recently I was approached by one of the staff of the club, who has been trying to find out about her grandfather SS 4537, Richard Simpson, steward, Royal Navy, who enlisted on the 3rd December 1913. Kirsty the lady in question has been able to get a copy of what appears to be his service 'card' from the British National Archives. And that unfortunately is all that is known of Richard Simpson, his children cannot even remember their father wearing medals. . I have by trolling the forum put together a 'fair' explanation of what it all means except

Under Sub-Rating and Badges I have not been able to find out an explanation for "G1 B4' or 'GL B4' unless the GL stands for Gun Layer?

Does anybody know why Richard was 'Enrolled into the R.F.R' as part of his posting to D.A.M.S.?

Also he was invalided (see remarks) but I could find no pension records.

Also can anyone help decipher what the actual remarks refer to.

Kindest regards

bill wyndham

Welcome to the forum Bill

SS 4537 Richard Simpson's ratings were as an Ordinary, then Able Seaman in the Royal Navy; his civillian occupation was steward.

He served on the Pre-Dreadnought Battleships Duncan and Queen; his WWI service started on the latter and so he qualified for the 1914/15 Star trio (Naval medal rolls are off line at Kew, his entry would be in ADM 171/115) whether he wore them was entirely up to him unless he was at official or 'medals will be worn' functions. Confirmation that he receieved a Silver War Badge can only be done offline at Kew with the original documents ADM 171/ 178 or ADM 171/182.

Queen

5th Battle Squadron Channel Fleet.

17 October 1914 attached to Dover Patrol for bombardment of Belgian coast.

March 1915 joined Dardanelles Squadron.

25 April 1915 supported Anzac landings at Gaba Tepe.

22 May 1915 transferred to Adriatic. (where she became a base ship at Taranto)

December 1916 February 1917 refitted as depot ship for Adriatic net patrols in the Adiratic

1920 sold for scrap.

details from http://www.worldwar1.co.uk/pre-dreadnought/hms-queen.html

pictures available on http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/hms_queen_1901.htm

CormorantDuty Guard Ship Gibraltar, also Ascension Island.

All the men that I have seen serving on Defensively Armed Merchant Ships have been in the Royal Fleet Reserve.

SG = Seaman Gunner

G1B = 1st Good Conduct badge.

Unfortunately I cannot read the remarks other than his case was for the Ministry of Pensions.

Bill,

G1B is Granted 1st Good Conduct Badge for 3 years Service. He was awarded it whilst serving on DAMS.

Enroled in RFR for DAMS, he was demobilised on the 03/04/1917 when he became a Seaman Gunner on the 04/04/1917 was remobilised in the RFR to serve in DAMS one of the remarks state 'time served in DAMS to count towards pay pensions Etc.'

Regards Charles