Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

June MGWAT Kamerad

Chris Foster

Rolfi was that drawn on your computer? If so it may be the first example of a CGI entry to MGWAT and a very welcome entry whatever the media.

Welcome Rolfi, a good start.....

Any media is welcome in our MGWAT, it's a bit of fun and a sharing of art....

Mine'll have to wait until next week, I'm a bit busy at present.

Ooooops, looks like I'll have to bail out of this one too as my computer crashes when I try to post although I had a rather nice brooding German for you.....

Rolfi - That's very nice - regardless of how you did it! But please do tell us how you did it! :rolleyes:

Soren - Please keep trying! Would love to see what you've come up with!

All the best,

Dan

Well,seem to be short on ideas this month for this always interesting thread so...here's my

excuse for a sketch.

Not only have I not held a drawing implement since school,my sciatica is giving me gyp so,I have an excuse for its crapness :rolleyes: Caption is;

His name was Konrad...least thats what I think he shouted.

PICT3942.jpg

A Cartoon! yet another new genre for this month.

Nice one and I am sure I speak for all MGWatters in saying there is no such thing as crapness in MGWAT all entries are welcome its the spirit of the entry thats important.

Welcome 59165, as Gunboat says the fact that you entered is the thing, and we haven't had any cartoon entries that I can recall, so a new genre.....

I'll have to get to work on mine now......

Here's my effort- inspiration from Jack Sheldons book The German Army on the Somme 1914-1916, which I am at present reading.

Trommelfeuer Kameraden

Thor's hammer strikes, as on a drum of hardened bronze,

And yet again and on and on and on.

We sit and wait, the candles shake. Will Tommy never come?

Twilit madness, tight packed, red eyed and weeping,

Thoughts of home, or family , or sleeping.

To stave the urge, to bite upon our guns.

And still it beats and quakes and roars and shrieks,

Shreds our nerve and breaks our bodies down.

Young Demmel yells and lunges with bared teeth,

It takes six men to wrestle to the ground.

We stare around, for we are very close now,

As to a stretcher, young Demmel he is bound.

All the while the throbbing pulse is beating,

The air is thick with death and smoke and sound.

Then silence reigns and by the one good entry,

There stands the lookout."The British, they have come."

"Come my lads, lets up the stair to meet them!"

"Rifles, grenades, let's show them what we have."

We who were; so very nearly broken,

And now relief; Let's show our fight ,my Kamerad !

My goodness, (Insert words of more coarse exclamation), Spike, you have out done yourself!!!!!! I also was thinking of the German angle, thought up something driving to work this morning but need to do some research and develop it a bit more.

I like the cartoon, a new genre and it does echo some of the sentiments of the men I have read about, well done to the new MGWAT chum, 59165.

Cheers

Kim

Powerful stuff, spike very powerful stuff. The metre, as I read it, has almost a marching pace...almost like a german marching song.

Thanks all, I did originally intend to try a story about a wounded Tommy and a Fritz stuck together in no-mans land, using alternate paragraphs to represent each point of view. But I couldn't get the inspiration right....

The metre, as I read it, has almost a marching pace Very true that was how it came to me. Admittedly it's in the form of a repetative sort of iambic pentameter, but that was the intent, also to show grim determination and sticking it out to the end.

As I was reading Jack's book , it struck me on reading the sections as July 1st approached, that there were a number of Germans who, rather than be shattered mentally or physically by the terrible bombardment, grimly hung in and waited their chance to make the British pay. As an Englishman I can appreciate that sort of bloody mindedness and endurance, it is often a trait Tommy was endowed with and you have to take your hat off to the men in Feldgrau for that.

In many ways the German stubborn defence and refusal to be beaten in the attacks of 1916/17, can be compared to the attitude that won Tommy much praise on the Retreat from Mons.

I tried to show a glimpse of this "doggedness" in the poem.....

Wow - Spike! That grabbed me by the scruff of my throat and didn't let go! GOOD STUFF!

All the best,

Dan

For all those waiting- here's Soren's entry- an worth the wait too B) This is just a taster until I get home and I'll put it on photobucket so we can view the original. (I can't get photobucket at work). I had to reduce the size and compress the picture to get within 100kb

Soren' s entry -Kamerad

post-1137-1181786393.jpg

Great efforts everyone.

It seems that Soren's picture is the aftermath of Spike's poem. They go so well together. Amazing. Superb stuff as always.

Susan.