Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Three Tommies in the Agony of the Somme

Dan Morton

At long last...feels like I've been working on this forever!!

Scale: 1/16th

Materials: Resin parts from Jaguar, Model Cellar & D. J. Parkin, metal SMLE rifle from D. J. Parkin, magicsculpt, 2 part clear resin for mud, paper map tape for putties & Vallejo 599 coarse pumice paste for earth

Based on an illustration by an unknown artist published in several books including, “Eye Deep in Hell” by John Ellis, 1946.

1st / 6th Durham Light Infantry Rgt., 151st Brigade, 50th (Northumbrian) Division – no division markings

Wounded Tommy –

• Goatskin jerkin worn as vests over M1902 khaki field service tunic

• M1902 khaki field service trousers

• M1914 leather field harness and ammo pouch

Second and Third Tommies

• Goatskin jerkins and M1902 uniforms

• Three Short Magazine Lee-Enfield (SMLE) MK III 0.303 caliber rifles – two wrapped in water-proofing, one being used as a lever to lift the wounded man

• Small canvas haversack for carrying anti-gas PH helmets

• M1914 leather field harness and ammo pouches

• Canvas musette bag and haversacks

• M1902 khaki putties and brown half boots

• On left hip, M1908 khaki haversacks and entrenching tool helves

• On right hip, M1908 entrenching tool heads in khaki carriers and water bottles covered with khaki cloth and hooked to belt

• one standing Tommy is a two-stripe corporal; the other has a bombers badge on one sleeve

I'm going to post the illustration first and then the photos of the figures. It may take two or three posts - bear with me.

Hope you like it!

All the best,

Dan

post-4473-1180378785.jpg

post-4473-1180378793.jpg

Excellent,

As I find myself all time commenting on these models etc, it is an art I do not have and the ability to do this must leave you with much satisfaction.

Well done

Arm

Arm - Each of us does what we can, my friend! I count my many, many blessings every day and especially today - our US Memorial Day, when we commemorate the fallen. God bless them all and grant them the peace they did not find in life!

All the best,

Dan

Fantastic piece of work Dan! Can't wait to see it painted.

cheers

Steve

I've been following your progress from your first post. Congratulations on the modelling. As others indicate, looking forward to seeing the final version.

Regards, (and Awe, but no shock!).Pete S

Peter - Many thanks for your encouragement and kind comment!

On another forum, a member critiqued the tightness of the M1914 leather equipment straps. I'm going to re-do one of them to make it straighter and tighter looking. Excellent constructive critique!

All the best,

Dan

Excellent work.

Susan

Many thanks Susan! Can you see them losing their footing, slipping, taking another plant, striving not to fall in themselves, pulling with every muscle the dead weight of their wounded buddy? And maybe it is raining and maybe enemy shrapnel shells are beginning to fall. And their Sergeant has already told them off to leave their buddy and get back to the company. The company is already two trenches away from them. And it's beginning to get dark. A typical nasty day at work if your job was the Somme.

I really wish I knew the name of the illustrator. Unfortunately all my attempts to find out have failed.

All the best,

Dan

Anybody notice that I sculpted M1914 leather equipment on the figures not the M1908 canvas equipment shown in the illustration? Couple of reasons.

One - I'd never sculpted the M1914 eqpt and had done a couple figures with M1908. Just wanted to see the difference. Call it artisans license.

Two - I was trying to figure out what eqpt the soldiers were using to lift the wounded Tommy out of the mud. In the illustration (IMHO) it looks like thin straps of something with buckles. I don't know how you could put that together with M1908, whereas I think you could with M1914. Yes? No? Anyways not having 4 sets of either lying around the house to be able to test this theory, I did M1914. What if you put the wider pieces under the armpits and linked up additional straight, thin pieces using the buckles?

All the best,

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

I re-vamped the harness and cleaned the vignette up a bit. Three more pics.

post-4473-1181504111.jpg

post-4473-1181504120.jpg

post-4473-1181504128.jpg

All the best,

Dan

Nigel - That's exactly the effect I was hoping this vignette might have! Thanks very much!!!

All the best,

Dan

Dan,

All I can say is "I love It".

You have a real talent to be proud of.............Looking forward to seeing the finished painted product.

Thank You,

Ian. :)