Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Q ship Prize

Clio

I have been researching the story of HMS Prize for a forthcoming book. There is said to be a memorial to the Prize crew in 'the church at Milford Haven, near the docks', Can anyone shed any light on this memorial as I drew a blank with the local library. I hope this memorial still exists because they were a damn fine crew.

Clio,

"the church by the docks" in Milford Haven I assume to be St.Katharine's Parish Church (Anglican Church in Wales) which stands on the corner at the eastern end of the long front street that runs parallel to and above the Docks. There is a St.Thomas a Becket not far away, but that was in ruins at the time of WW1 and was only restored later.

St.Katharine's certainly has a small "memorial chapel" with quite a few original WW1 wooden grave-crosses mounted on the walls; not to mention the truck from the mainmast of the French Napoleonic battleship L'Orient which exploded and sank at the Battle of the Nile 1798 (presented by Lord Nelson when he visited a few years later).

However I can't remember a plaque to HMS Prize, but my memory isn't perfect as regards the church contents. You could try contacting the Vicar c/o the Church in Wales website (St.Davids Diocese) and ask him: http://www.churchinwales.org.uk/rb/par.php...l&which=549

Alternatively, by the the Dock entrance is the local Museum which might be able to assist: see

http://www.pembrokeshire-wales.info/milfor...ml/history.html

LST_164

• 3 weeks later...
many thanks LST, I will follow up these leads you kindly provided

Hi Clio,

I had a look around St Katherines Church, which I would have thought the most likely to house the memorial, but could not find it there.

There are a few other options that I could check out. But one possibility is that the memorial was in St. Peters Church, a corrigated Iron church, that was sited a little way from the docks, but which I believe was regarded as the Seamens' church in the town. Unfortunatley this church was destroyed by fire several years ago. I will make a few enquiries and will let you know if I have any further information for you.

Clive