Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nurses Co-operation, 8, New Cavendish St. London

jimmie

A nurse I'm interested in and who served in the Great War was at one time employed by the Nurses Co-operation of 8, New Cavendish St. London. I've also come across references to this body elsewhere and wonder whether anyone knows anything about it. It sounds like an organisation formed by the nurses themselves, presumably mainly for employment purposes but this is only a guess.

Jimmie

I think it was the Trained Nurses Cooperative Institute, run by Amy Coward. Mrs Coward, a founder member of the Royal College of Nursing, spent many years in the profession before founding the Institute, including seven years at the Westminster Hospital, one at the London Hospital and four years as the Matron of the Westminster Teaching Hospital.

She opened the Institute as a non-profit making organisation in 1904 and by August 1914 had enrolled 137 very experienced nurses, 100 of whom left immediately to carry out war work. In 1939, there were 500 nurses on the staff, 400 of whom left to carry out war work. She died aged 97 in 1958.

Terry Reeves

Jimmie

I think it was the Trained Nurses Cooperative Institute, run by Amy Coward. Mrs Coward, a founder member of the Royal College of Nursing, spent many years in the profession before founding the Institute, including seven years at the Westminster Hospital, one at the London Hospital and four years as the Matron of the Westminster Teaching Hospital.

She opened the Institute as a non-profit making organisation in 1904 and by August 1914 had enrolled 137 very experienced nurses, 100 of whom left immediately to carry out war work. In 1939, there were 500 nurses on the staff, 400 of whom left to carry out war work. She died aged 97 in 1958.

Terry Reeves

Terry, thanks very much for that information. It's very useful. Do you know of any source of further information on the Institute or Amy Coward I can access?

Regards,

Jim