Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal navy records ADM188/737

KiwiHeather

Hello again

I recently posted a photo of two WW1 servicemen I am still trying to identify. I have now found more history on the NZ soldier, assuming of course that it is my husband's grandfather, Alexander Paterson. He had 5 brothers and I have their years of birth, so have tried the National Archives, documents online, and found a James Paterson who almost matches!!!!! The birth date is only a few days different and the birthplace of our relative is Dalserf, Lanarkshire and the one online is given as Dalgill ( I can't find that on a map).

My question now is, is there any record that can give me next of kin or some other way of confirming this is the correct James, before I purchase the record?

Hope someone can help.

Regards

KiwiHeather

KiwiHeather,

Hi there,

go to http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

You shall be able to get his birth cert for £1.25 and that of his brothers, once you have found and confirmed it is him go for the 1901 Census for the names of his brothers, their ages from which you shall be able to work out their birth year.

I am roughly 5 miles from Dalserf

Swally

KiwiHeather,

send me the name of his mother n father and when he was born

swally

KiwiHeather,

send me the name of his mother n father and when he was born

swally

Hi Swally

Have sent that information on a PM but will repeat it here. His parents were Robert and Margaret Paterson and James was the 7th of 8 children and the information we have is that he was born on 2 July 1899. Thanks for showing interest in my request. Is there such a place as Dalgill? as shown as the birthplace for the James Paterson on the National Archives records.

Greetings from New Zealand

Regards

KiwiHeather