Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

World War One army rank

Guest newworldmember

Guest newworldmember

Can someone please tell me how a British soldier before and during World War One could qualify to be made a paid lance corporal? Also, if anyone knows what extra pay a man received as a paid lance corporal, I'll be most grateful.

I think I may have posted this request several months ago, but I can't be certain of this.

Cory Kilvert :huh:

Guest Steve Seaman

Not an exact answer but George Coppard (Machine Gun to Cambrai) says that when he he was promoted to full Corporal in 1917 his pay was 11 shillings a week.

regards

Steve

Cory,

The number of paid Lance Corporals in a unit were fixed by Army Council in the Establishments (Peace and War). In an Infantry Battalion in 1914, 49 Paid Lance Corporals were allowed, you could also have excess lance corporals in an unpaid status. If a paid Lance Corporal, he would have been paid 1s3d a day for Line Infantry or 1s4d a day for foot guards.

I don't have much on the actual qualifications but to me it looks like the OCs judgement as to who was the most deserving and fittest for the post determined who would be made a Paid Lance Corporal.

Joe Sweeney

Cory.

I don't know whether this of any help ,but Canadian L/Cpls were paid a daily rate of $1.05 with $0.10 Field allowance. This is in comparison to a Canadian Private who was paid $1.00 with the same Field Allowance.

These figures date from 1918.

Dave.

• 2 months later...

Cory:- I think Joe Sweeney got it about right. Just to mention that, as a national serviceman I served for about 3 months as a Local Acting Unpaid Lance Corporal, before getting a second, paid stripe. L/A/U/L/Cpl was looked upon as the lowest rank in the army, just below buck private! Phil B