Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Infanterieregiment 12 (IR 12)

egbert

Is anybody aware of a regimental history of IR 12. If yes, what's the full title please. Can't find anything via google

Das Grenadier-Regiment Prinz Karl von Preussen (2.Brandenburgisches) Nr 12 im Weltkriege Schoenfeldt Kgl. Preuss. Major a.D. Ernst von Stalling, Oldenburg 1924.

What do you want to know? I have one.

Jack

I am looking for the whole of the history. A colleague from work asked me for the title and I could not find it. He will get his copy from library as he researches his ancestor.

So Jack there was never an IR 12 but a Grenadierregiment 12?

thanks for helping

Egbert

That is true, but beware. There was a Landwehr Infantry Regiment 12 and one or two others of differing types with that number. However the main one was the Grenadier Regiment, so I hope that it is the correct one. Since posting, I have noticed that there is a second and more detailed version of the regimental history. Details: Das Genadier-Regt Prinz Carl von Preussen Nr. 12, Bloem W, Berlin 1940. It contains almost twice as many pages as the earlier book.

Jack

Jack is it now my turn to warn "beware" as I suspect the second book source you mentioned from 1940 could very well be from the Reichswehr IR 12 which I believe was founded 1920?!

Nothing special but the whole history as a colleague's grandfather survived the war in GrenRgt 12 and fought in WW2 as a colonel.

@Egbert

Bloem, Walter

Das Grenadier-Regiment Prinz Carl von Preußen (2.brandenburgisches) Nr.12

nach den Erinnerungsblättern des Majors v. Schönfeldt

Abb, Zeichn., Kt, Gefechtspl.,386 S.

Deutsche Tat im Weltkrieg Bd.48

Berlin 1940

Friedhelm

Thanks Friedhelm. I wondered if it was Walter Bloem, the famous author. He served in this regiment. This suggests it should cover the 1914-18 period?

Robert

There is no doubt about the subject of the 1940 book. It is described as being neu bearbeitet i.e a new edition of the Great War history by Bloem, who had served in the regiment for a large part of the war. I had not realised that he wrote poetry, but he was a prolific author, dramatist and novelist, perhaps best known in the Anglophone world for the recently reissued book, 'The Advance from Mons, which he actually wrote in 1916 under the title Vormarsch. He has no Nazi 'form', because he came out sharply in the 1920s as being against anti-semitism. He died in 1951.

Jack